• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. Vagan enclosure

Mean.uwu

Hi,, I've been thinking of rehousing my T since her enclosure is kind of mid

I was wondering if anyone had any advice for specific brands that make good enclosures.
Also how large should it be? (she's about 4 years old)

Oh and what's the general thoughts on mushrooms growing in the enclosures? I've picked them out the few times they pop up but I was wondering if it really matters much.

If there are any threads to point me in the right direction they would be much appreciated, thanks :)

liquidfluidity

3 Year Member
Show us some pics ;)

As for mushrooms, it's kind of a controversial subject. Some say no worries as it's just the substrate cycling and is a good thing. Others say remove the shroom and surrounding substrate clear to substrate replacement.

How damp are you keeping your substrate and what are you using?

I have one bio-active enclosure that I have let them go in. They seem to come and go. I have also noticed that different substrates will produce different shrooms.

I have made a somewhat general observation that when mixing in vermiculite and peat, they don't seem to show up at all, and these tanks are kept quite moist consistently.

Just my experiences

Mean.uwu

Show us some pics ;)

As for mushrooms, it's kind of a controversial subject. Some say no worries as it's just the substrate cycling and is a good thing. Others say remove the shroom and surrounding substrate clear to substrate replacement.

How damp are you keeping your substrate and what are you using?

I have one bio-active enclosure that I have let them go in. They seem to come and go. I have also noticed that different substrates will produce different shrooms.

I have made a somewhat general observation that when mixing in vermiculite and peat, they don't seem to show up at all, and these tanks are kept quite moist consistently.

Just my experiences
It generally quite dry but I overflow the dish every so often. I'm using coco fibre and peat and some green moss.

Mushrooms only pop up during more humid weather (after I've overflowed the dish) and I think I'll just pick them out since I prefer the enclosure with out them.

silox

As far as mushrooms-remove as soon as you see as well as the soil around it to catch other spores before they bloom

No need to worry about this, the spores (mycelium) of mushrooms are literally in every inch of dirt, rock, soil, plants in the entire world and also in the air. So mushroom spores are always present, everywhere. They lie dormant until the conditions are right. So removing soil will not solve anything.

They are a natural part of the cycle and it means your soil is healthy. Remove them if you don't like the look, and keep it a bit less moist

Latest posts