• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T stirmi

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
My juvenile t stirmi molted again this morning, and this time i was actually able to remove the molt before it was destroyed [emoji2]
The molt measured 5.75" so i cant wait till it emerges so i can get a good look at its new size.
I took a couple of pics, im seeing male.
fcb0a9064a8b8e8cecabef21cca12909.jpg

c536bee76a6f17180308173a9360f3d4.jpg

e3eabd727be158991c36546f92de6ec7.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Middle pic looks more female, the other 2 male IMHO, so I am completely on the fence! Sorry. I can suggest some other members if yuo like who have helped me out loads? I am sure they are sick of me offering there services ha ha

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would love it to be female, but im swaying towards male lol. Fingers crossed someone who is abit more experienced can see something i cant lol
Ok......so shout out to the "sexing sisters" (your new names ladies....lol) @Casey K. And @Thistles......can you help a bruvva out here? Not for me this time but it is for fellow UK member so can you show him some love from the over the pond please....pretty please?

Redacted

3 Year Member
My juvenile t stirmi molted again this morning, and this time i was actually able to remove the molt before it was destroyed [emoji2]
The molt measured 5.75" so i cant wait till it emerges so i can get a good look at its new size.
I took a couple of pics, im seeing male.
fcb0a9064a8b8e8cecabef21cca12909.jpg

e3eabd727be158991c36546f92de6ec7.jpg
I'm coming up male.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When u expand it just blurs....@thistles you have an expanded clear shot of this? I can't tell.....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wait, nm.....serves me right not scrolling up. I see a vagina, lol....

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Now, I made this mistake once before.....is this molt completely dry? There's a rsason why I ask.....

Thistles

3 Year Member

There is a slightly lighter area there in your picture. Wait for the molt to dry, then try to slip a little piece of paper under that. If it is a flap, then it's a girl for sure. Sometimes a wet molt can reflect strangely, but I'm pretty darn sure that that little lighter area is the flap of the uterus externus.

These are really easy to sex ventrally, though, so if you want to post a ventral pic I can confirm easily.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'm going with female until we get a pic of a dry molt, lol....

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
No the molt wasnt completely dry, i will wait till its dry and try the paper thing lol. Failing that i will try and get a ventral pic, although this one doesnt climb the glass much so i may have to put my latex gloves on and try to pinch grab it [emoji51]

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No the molt wasnt completely dry, i will wait till its dry and try the paper thing lol. Failing that i will try and get a ventral pic, although this one doesnt climb the glass much so i may have to put my latex gloves on and try to pinch grab it [emoji51]

I have done that a few times, myself, although others wouldn't recommend it (I usually dont, either, unless it's a last resort). I try to put them in a clear container and get vents that way (if needed). Keep us posted on your findings! :)

Redacted

3 Year Member
I'm going with female until we get a pic of a dry molt, lol....
Hi Casey- I'm eager to see what you decide. I can see why you are right now thinking female. For me, the upper lip, as it were, seemed too tight a smile. Interesting to see.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I made the mistake of sexing a male G. pulchra as a female because the molt was wet. There was a white area above the exuvium and it looked very much like a flap. Once the molt dried, I took a second look (this was someone else's T, btw, that asked for opinions on sexing it) and it was indeed a male. When molts are fresh and wet I will offer my best guess at sex. When they are "dry", I guarantee it.

Redacted

3 Year Member
I made the mistake of sexing a male G. pulchra as a female because the molt was wet. There was a white area above the exuvium and it looked very much like a flap. Once the molt dried, I took a second look (this was someone else's T, btw, that asked for opinions on sexing it) and it was indeed a male. When molts are fresh and wet I will offer my best guess at sex. When they are "dry", I guarantee it.
I see. Thanks.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You're welcome! I do believe this one is a female, though. :)
This is a Goos post Casey, when you and Thistles confirmed the emelia for me last weekend, I strtd off with wet and then couldn't make it out from the photo so kept blowing on it until dry and then presto.....lady bits all visible in the photo.
Lesson Lerned: if the lady is too moist, she may not be a lady at all.....lmao.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is a Goos post Casey, when you and Thistles confirmed the emelia for me last weekend, I strtd off with wet and then couldn't make it out from the photo so kept blowing on it until dry and then presto.....lady bits all visible in the photo.
Lesson Lerned: if the lady is too moist, she may not be a lady at all.....lmao.
I agree! Much easier to tell when dry. :)

Latest posts