• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T.Stirmi info please

Logan D

3 Year Member
im planing on getting a female T. Stirmi to breed with my male. Was wondering if anyone with experience could give me tips

sjake.sb

3 Year Member
I have a female rosehair. She is very docile and sweet. I get to hold her once a day. Love her lots. Named her Jasmine Rose! Sj

DTG

3 Year Member
I have heard that the secret to Theraphosa producing sacks is feed them worms. Apparently in the wild the females eat nightcrawlers. I have not tried this yet, but I am going to, just haven't picked any up. I just bred another stirmi, so I need to get on it. I had one stirmi drop in may and I pulled it right away and manually incubated it, but when I opened the sack all the eggs were black. I was really disappointed. Good luck with your breeding and keep us posted on what happens:)

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I have heard that the secret to Theraphosa producing sacks is feed them worms. Apparently in the wild the females eat nightcrawlers. I have not tried this yet, but I am going to, just haven't picked any up. I just bred another stirmi, so I need to get on it. I had one stirmi drop in may and I pulled it right away and manually incubated it, but when I opened the sack all the eggs were black. I was really disappointed. Good luck with your breeding and keep us posted on what happens:)

Very interesting, if your looking for a good source of night crawlers, DMF brand sold at WalMart are safe to use as feeders. They are the staple of my larger amphibians diet.

Avoid red wigglers though as they emit a foul tasting substance that can be toxic to some animals, when grabbed.

Poec54

3 Year Member
Almost all of the stirmi in the US are w/c and would probably need to be cycled in captivity for a year or two before breeding. I doubt you could get a successful sac from a recently imported female.

DTG

3 Year Member
Interesting thought, I have some slings that I am raising, we will see what happens when they mature, hopefully I will get a fertile sack eventually. I have two females bred right now, but they are WC stock:)

Poec54

3 Year Member
Interesting thought, I have some slings that I am raising, we will see what happens when they mature, hopefully I will get a fertile sack eventually. I have two females bred right now, but they are WC stock:)

I've got a bunch of w/c stirmi, they've adapted well and have shed. Maybe they're ready to breed now, maybe not. All I can do is try. Maybe they'll need another year to fully acclimate.

Latest posts