• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T stirmi hair

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So I've been haired by several tarantulas, plus got haired through my nose, and never thought much of it.
Until 3 days ago, moving an eight inch female stirmi, when she got me good on my right wrist/forearm area. Initially it was the same old thing..mild irritation, like working around fiberglass insulation.
Over a period of three days, the irritation came back three times, each time stronger, until last night I was scratching enough to make myself bleed. I washed it, checked out the raised welts, and tried aloe vera lotion, which stopped it immediately.
All in all, no big deal, but folks, they aint kiddin about Theraphosa hairs..in the eyes, esophagus or sinus passage, they could give you a very bad time. I wonder now if they could kill a small animal like a cat or raccoon. I mean what kind of urticating hair goes away and then plagues you for three days, off and on? My system usually deals with hairs easily. Not these.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I used antibiotic cream first, then aloe vera. I didnt want to use antihistamines though, just to see if I got a bad rash. I did ;) But I put the lotion on last night, now theres no sign, no bumps, nada. So the reaction of welting up means allergic reaction, correct?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I don't know to be honest. I have read that the more you get haired or bitten the worse the reaction can be.

Redacted

3 Year Member
Easy to say, but try your VERY BEST to not scratch. Make the reaction worse and worse in future.

Those hairs are an arms race with mammals, such as coatis, thatceat or try to eat them.

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
I got done when i was feeding my big male, he was facing away and i dropped a roach in, it must have startled him and he kicked up a massive cloud of hairs. I didnt think it had got me, then a day later my hand was on fire lol.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yeah, I used antibiotic cream first, then aloe vera. I didnt want to use antihistamines though, just to see if I got a bad rash. I did ;) But I put the lotion on last night, now theres no sign, no bumps, nada. So the reaction of welting up means allergic reaction, correct?
yep that's a reaction. any itching, reddening, or blisters/bumps is an allergic reaction. My hand didn't turn red from the A. chalcodes hairs, just swelled up a little so when i made a fist that line across the palm under the knuckles at the outer edge felt tight, and it itched like mad for a day or so.

Latest posts