• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T. stirmi enclosure options? I hate using bins...

NorseDad

Hello,

I'm looking to get a T. stirmi soon, but I really don't like the idea of keeping it in a bin. Does anyone have any suggestions for good alternatives to a sterilite bin that will actually display well?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My female adult stirmi is in a Exo Terra Habisphere, they are no longer available & are not ideal as the only access is via a narrow hatch at the top. She came in a huge wooden vivarium filled with dry substrate. But I took her out of & used the Habisphere, which I had laying around. As she needs moist substrate & that & cheap chipboard do not go well together.

Have you thought about an aquarium tank?

NorseDad

My female adult stirmi is in a Exo Terra Habisphere, they are no longer available & are not ideal as the only access is via a narrow hatch at the top. She came in a huge wooden vivarium filled with dry substrate. But I took her out of & used the Habisphere, which I had laying around. As she needs moist substrate & that & cheap chipboard do not go well together.

Have you thought about an aquarium tank?
I saw some people did that. I was worried about getting the right ventilation though.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ventilation will all be at the top with an aquarium, but it is possible to drill glass. However, I am not sure what type of glass is used in an aquarium, so if it's possible to safely drill it. But my Habisphere only has a small area of ventilation at the top.

Planting an aquarium up as a bio active set up, would help with air purity & you could always use a small solar powered fan on the lid to make air move. As you will need to make some form of T safe lid up for a aquarium.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Exoterras are great... plenty of ventilation. However I do lay a towel on the top because they vent too well for a moisture dependant species. You can add plexiglass to the top to improve humidity. Also its good to add plexiglass because stirmi's can rip the screen and escape.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I also use zoomed low profile enclosures. Again they can escape by tearing the screen. Ill change the top out as soon as they discover they can. ;)
20201029_144257.jpg

Latest posts