• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T Hobby Condemned Article

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
Well all I did was google tarantula breeders and an article popped up by 'National Geographic'.

After reading it I was mad that National Geographic didn't edit this journalist more. How he condemns T owners in the beginning was infuriating.

After reading the entire article I have mixed feelings now, it's upsetting. Most people in this hobby are well aware what is mentioned but it's still a wake up call. This article is 2 years old now.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The article didn't offend me. I think the author did their best to outline an evolving issue that has ecological, sociological, commercial and legal impacts; not to mention the threats to tarantulas. Most of the focus was based, and collected, outside "first world" areas.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
To me the author demonized people who own them as pets. The rest of the article was spot on and why there is a negative light on this hobby.

Most people who have been in this hobby for a while are already aware of this. People just starting in it should be aware of it however.

As a point someone made to me elsewhere, always make sure you're dealing with a reputable breeder.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The author's only opinion expressed re keepers is in this sentence, as far as I read:
"It amazes me that anyone would want to keep a fireleg tarantula for fun. But people do."​

That sentence alone hardly feels demonizing to me, but it was a very cursory article and the author really did not go very far beyond offering anecdotal information and conjecture. It was not the kind of investigative journalism NatGeo used to be known for; it's more like the modern pulp-sensationalism op ed crap most publish to get a reaction and build their cv.

I wouldn't take it too seriously, and I don't. No one is coming to take our spiders because of that article.

BrokenRay

3 Year Member
The author's only opinion expressed re keepers is in this sentence, as far as I read:
"It amazes me that anyone would want to keep a fireleg tarantula for fun. But people do."​

That sentence alone hardly feels demonizing to me, but it was a very cursory article and the author really did not go very far beyond offering anecdotal information and conjecture. It was not the kind of investigative journalism NatGeo used to be known for; it's more like the modern pulp-sensationalism op ed crap most publish to get a reaction and build their cv.

I wouldn't take it too seriously, and I don't. No one is coming to take our spiders because of that article.

Yes very true, guess it just made me a little upset but what you said makes sense and helps me deal with that.

It was completely by accident I even stumbled on that NG article.