• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

T albopilosum humidity?

fido the spido

I know burrowing is their whole deal and I shouldn't worry. But mine has buried itself since August and I'm starting to worry. I'm new at this.
I read somewhere that they burrow to look for more moisture and a few sites suggested that their humidity be 70%-80%. But then a few other articles say that they're fine with 30%-50% (average US household) humidity. You know, "if you're comfortable, they're comfortable".

Is he too dry or does he need to be sprayed down a bit?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I know burrowing is their whole deal and I shouldn't worry. But mine has buried itself since August and I'm starting to worry. I'm new at this.
I read somewhere that they burrow to look for more moisture and a few sites suggested that their humidity be 70%-80%. But then a few other articles say that they're fine with 30%-50% (average US household) humidity. You know, "if you're comfortable, they're comfortable".

Is he too dry or does he need to be sprayed down a bit?
Don't worry about chasing humidity numbers as it is just added unnecessary stress. Any moisture requirements are fulfilled by overflowing the water dish. Pouring water on the substrate is more effective, as the water will most likely trickle down to the bottom. Spraying/misting only dampens the surface of the substrate.

A couple bits of extra advice/information:

1. Avoid 99% of caresheets, as most add extra stress for a new keeper.

2. If it looks like the feeders are gone, your tarantula is most likely in good shape, other times it could just be preparing for a molt. I have some that go a whole year before coming out, including 4 T. albopilosum.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
T. albopilosum are renowned for burrowing and constantly digging when they're young, if you're lucky they will construct tunnels that you can see into so you can watch them at work.

KevTK

3 Year Member
As others have mentioned, I drip water into a corner of my clings enclosure, watching it go all the way to the bottom. If the spider wants a little more moisture it'll come over and hover over or nestle into the wet area. An area about the size of a quarter.

Attachments

• IMG_0351.jpg
    IMG_0351.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 10