• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sweet Little B. albopilosum Girl

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I recently saw a post on a Facebook group made by a guy close to me who was downsizing his collection. I managed to pick up this sweet little girl for only $30. He told me that she moulted on March 19th. She is now about 2.5".
She eats everything in sight... darling little girl she is. Bless their hearts, they never disappoint.

_DSC0052-2.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Precious! I enjoy these silly things so much.
Beginning to think mines not an B.albo, she's growing fast but basically still hairless lol

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She's just beginning to get her wild hairs. I have hopes she may actually look like an albo one day. AB has some images of wd caught ones. Complete fuzz balls!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Very possibly, they are gorgeous fuzzy.
my little one was the ugliest thing I ever saw when I got her, half inch of dead looking flesh..(hence her name 'zombie') just made me like her that much more.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Lucky for her that you found her.
There are also postings of really fuzzy albos and people are calling them Nicaragua. The comment was that they will end up being a different genus, but are being called B. albopilosum Nicaragua for now. They're even fuzzier than my Chloe was.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
They do seem to vary in fuzziness. The smallest of my 3 has just moulted and it's much more hairy now than the 2 bigger ones.

@VanessaS She's adorable :)

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
They do seem to vary in fuzziness. The smallest of my 3 has just moulted and it's much more hairy now than the 2 bigger ones.

In fact, true B albopilosum seem to be very rare in the hobby. Most of the albopilosum sold (at least in Europa) are probably hybrids. These are the conclusions of a very good article in the latest BTS journal (Ray Gabriel, Stuart J. Longhorn, Jason S Davis, "NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS ON THE BREEDING OF WHATEVER IT IS IN THE PET TRADE CALLED BRACHYPELMA ALBOPILOSUM VALERIO, 1980,(ARANEAE: THERAPHOSIDAE), WITH FURTHER NOTES ON ITS IDENTIFICATION", BTS Journal 31/1, pp. 4-11). The author have taken a picture of a true B albopilosum and I can tell you: it's gorgeous (and sooooo fuzzy!!!).

This explains why there are real difference in the fuzziness.

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
In fact, true B albopilosum seem to be very rare in the hobby. Most of the albopilosum sold (at least in Europa) are probably hybrids. These are the conclusions of a very good article in the latest BTS journal (Ray Gabriel, Stuart J. Longhorn, Jason S Davis, "NOTES AND OBSERVATIONS ON THE BREEDING OF WHATEVER IT IS IN THE PET TRADE CALLED BRACHYPELMA ALBOPILOSUM VALERIO, 1980,(ARANEAE: THERAPHOSIDAE), WITH FURTHER NOTES ON ITS IDENTIFICATION", BTS Journal 31/1, pp. 4-11). The author have taken a picture of a true B albopilosum and I can tell you: it's gorgeous (and sooooo fuzzy!!!).

This explains why there are real difference in the fuzziness.

That's interesting. On Arachnoboards on facebook there is a user who posts pictures of the fuzziest B.Albo I've ever seen. Too cute!

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree those AB extremely fuzzy ones are beautiful, they are such busy slings though I'll always have at least one. And, I have zero plans to breed so if I'm honest, I don't care what they are ^^

VanessaS

3 Year Member
Does it have to be as a result of hybridization, or maybe just the gene pool currently being bred from? I would think that other characteristics would be very different if it was a hybrid, but it seems that only the amount of hair cover is affected.
Maybe we're seeing evolution occurring? Due to many generations being captive bred in conditions where they no longer need certain features?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wish someone loved me more for being fuzzy....."metrosexual" not all its cracked up to be......ha ha

Latest posts