• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Superworms

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Or giant mealworms. I just gave it a go for the first time today. Picked them up at the local reptile show yesterday. I was amazed at the results. Both the T's and Scorpions devoured them immediately. Going to use them again in the future.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
They are great for plumping up a freshly molted T. If you squish their heads and drop em near the T they won't try to burrow but will move enough to attract the T

hellknite

3 Year Member
When I use superworms as feeders, I feed the adult T's two at a time. I feed the first one then when the T has grabbed it, I drop another one.. the T will also grab the 2nd one.. I noticed that they consume the superworms faster than roaches. If they burrow and emerge as darkling beetles, the T will eat them anyway. But be careful for they may emerge during a molt.

hellknite

3 Year Member
Has anyone tried breeding superworms? I used to, but they lay too many eggs. I had too much superworms..

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I actually just decided to give that a go. Have 6 beetles pupating right now. Only trying for a smaller culture, I've heard they do have ALOT of young.

hellknite

3 Year Member
I actually just decided to give that a go. Have 6 beetles pupating right now. Only trying for a smaller culture, I've heard they do have ALOT of young.
I think that's enough, If you're not going to feed your T's always with superworms. I had 8 beetles before at the start up. Only the 1st cycle will keep you waiting. After that it would seem like you have an endless cycle of superworms.

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Yeah I only use them occasionally. I've got 3 different feeder roach colonies as well so food is never scarce around here lol

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That is awesome. Have any pics?

(Still jealous because I am not allowed to have roaches in the house).

hellknite

3 Year Member
I've got dubias, hissers and red runners I feed off from and also giant peppered roaches and question mark roaches because their awesome :)
You feed the T's hissers and question mark roaches? Aren't they expensive in your area?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
I do feed hissers on occasion to my T's. My pacman frog goes nuts over em too. I don't feed off the question mark or giant peppered roaches. Both a little to pricey to use as feeders, and im waiting on both to start reproducing for me. Well once the peppereds get going ill prolly give one to the Pac every now and then, she goes nuts over big food. If you buy single adult hissers than they can be pricey but they are easy to breed, I usually sell/ trade them more than anything but I've been lazy with it lately and have butt loads lol

Which ones you wanna see Denny?

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Found my first matured giant peppered roach today while feeding my colonies :)

Attachments

• IMG_20141009_101737_836.jpg
    IMG_20141009_101737_836.jpg
    572.4 KB · Views: 21

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
I use Dubia and sometimes Hissers. Still growing my colonies

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Love the color of the banana roaches but I've heard they are tricky to work with as a feeder. Pretty fast, nymphs will quickly burrow and adults wont hesitate to take flight. Which I would imagine would make the adults fun to feed to avics.

Latest posts