• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sunday surprise

syzygy

3 Year Member
My Hapalopus sp. Colombia (Colombian Pumpkin Patch) molted a month or so ago and ever since I'd only seen it a couple times. I'd thrown a cricket in once a week or so and stupidly they would walk right into it's webbed den and never be seen again.

On Sunday I tossed a dubia in. Its running around created enough interest that it came out of it's den and in the process scared the heck out of me. First, because it came out lightning fast and from a side where I did not know it had a back door and second, because it was huge (apparently it had molted again). It was super leggy looking so I checked and sure enough I now have a MM.

There is a local place to me that has something I want so I am going to try and trade with them. If they don't want him I'll check back here for interest.

I don't see a sperm web, but it could be easily hidden in his den. Do I have to wait until he does that to send him off for breeding?

syzygy

3 Year Member
So the local place actually has an adult female and is interesting in taking my male on a breeding loan. I'm going to see if I can fatten him up a bit today and tomorrow and plan to take him over on Sunday.

I want to keep the terrarium he's currently in though. Any tips on rehousing? He's lightning fast and a proven runner. I was wondering if I could place his terrarium inside a larger plastic bin that has 1/8" of water in the bottom. Not enough that would hurt him if he went for a swim, but enough to make him think twice about it.

Only other thought I had would be to put a smaller container in his terrarium, saran wrap the top, and then put a small hole in the middle that allows me to use a make-up brush or similar to herd him with.

Thistles

3 Year Member
I use a big tub and put both the old and new enclosures in it. I then encourage the tarantula to go into the new enclosure. You could also use the bag method. I don't think the water is necessary.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use a big tub and put both the old and new enclosures in it. I then encourage the tarantula to go into the new enclosure. You could also use the bag method. I don't think the water is necessary.
agreed about the water, unneccessary risk. Bathtub rehousing is popular, supposedly they can't climb the slick sides of the tub. Bottle method is good also. Cut a 2 litre bottle in half and herd the T into the top half, then cover with a piece of cardboard then take the cap off and use that opening to herd him back out into the new enclosure.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One thing. Ts can climb the tub,its just much harder for them. This goes for porcelain only, they'll run right up synthetic materials. And even with porcelain, if they build up enough speed and inertia, they'll scramble up it. Saw my obt come close after one burst of speed. And H sp Columbia are faster than obts. Hands down. I would definitely use the tub though..

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
One thing. Ts can climb the tub,its just much harder for them. This goes for porcelain only, they'll run right up synthetic materials. And even with porcelain, if they build up enough speed and inertia, they'll scramble up it. Saw my obt come close after one burst of speed. And H sp Columbia are faster than obts. Hands down. I would definitely use the tub though..
Yep found this out the hard way with my sons juvie GBB and the pcam sling this weekend. Synthetic tubs they climb right up easily. That pcam is freaking fast!

syzygy

3 Year Member
Thanks guys for the advice! The tub worked great for me and I was able to quickly get him into a travel container. Here is a picture of him in the container where you can just see his hooks and I also put up an image of his new girlfriend. She's well fed and has a perfect heart mark on her abdomen so maybe those are good signs.

h_colombia-m.jpg

h_colombia-f.jpg

Latest posts