• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suitable enclosure for A. Avicularia?

Zephyr Koolstra

3 Year Member
Alrighty, so I just got my first Avicularia Avicularia about a week ago. She is indeed my first arboreal T but I have done a lot of research before and after buying her. She is a 2" juvenile yet to eat (likely a settling issue), and I'm wondering if maybe it's her enclosure. It is furnished with fake plants, and decorations and branches to climb on. About 2" of coco fiber substrate at the bottom kept at 80% humidity and 72 degrees; however, it is 16x10" set up. Here's a picture of her enclosure:
photo.php
I was just wondering if this set up would be acceptable for her the time being, as I'm aware she needs more verticle space. Am I ok, or should I flip her enclosure after the first cleaning?

Last edited:

vector

3 Year Member
I think it needs to be more taller the long. Avic clim. I just rehoused my tarantula in a 8×8×16. And shes always on the roof of the enclosure. I have a door on the side so i dont destroy its future web my opening the top. It has eaten in its new enclosure but no webbing yet

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
People generally use tall, narrow enclosures but that would be fine, if it had cross ventilation.. That would be my only issue with it. You can get a clear plastic container in Walmart and drill or burn holes in all the sides, and maybe a few in the top. Spiders usually settle quicker in a smaller enclosure, if I was home I'd post a pic of mine. But cross ventilation is very important for spiders, avics in particular. I think she'd do better in something like I described. I've also found that avics, unlike most other arboreals, prefer sticking to the wall of the enclosure, and may never actually climb on branches and decorations, they'll just web to them. I use cheap green plastic plants. Hope this helps.

Latest posts