• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions?

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Anyone have any suggestions for me to get cheap mantids and or ooths? I have been looking online and they are more expensive than i was thinking they would be.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Ask a LPS if they have any on their stock list. I had a friend who owned a mom and pop pet store, and sometimes mantids would show up on their supplier's list of stock. They'll mark things up, obviously, but you might be able to negotiate. Are there particular species you are looking for, or would any do? I have a ton of Chinese mantid ooths right now.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ask a LPS if they have any on their stock list. I had a friend who owned a mom and pop pet store, and sometimes mantids would show up on their supplier's list of stock. They'll mark things up, obviously, but you might be able to negotiate. Are there particular species you are looking for, or would any do? I have a ton of Chinese mantid ooths right now.
well i guess im looking for a starter. and chinese mantds i could release when i get too many in my area right? i think they might be a good one to start with to try my hand at hatching them.

Thistles

3 Year Member
PM me your address. No idea when I'll get it sent out, but I can send you an ooth. These are wild collected and yeah, you can release them. I keep them in the garage until spring then move them outside to hatch. I used to breed some fancier ones but their short life span just depressed me too much.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
really? thats very cool of u! :) have u had much luck with wild collected ooths hatching? I read that it is rare that a wild collected one will hatch.

Thistles

3 Year Member
really? thats very cool of u! :) have u had much luck with wild collected ooths hatching? I read that it is rare that a wild collected one will hatch.
Yeah, they're just from my garden. They lay on a big patch of sage that I have to cut back annually, so instead of tossing the ooths I keep them. I can tell the difference between a fresh one and one from years past, so that might be why people have issues. They're pretty durable, so I do find old ones from time to time.

Latest posts