• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Suggestions? Buying? Pinktoes

WVSpiderlover89

3 Year Member
So I'm new here and everything and I've never really tried to look or buy T's online before. I've checked out backwater reptiles online and they seemed somewhat promising but I'd like some input. I see members sell spiders here as well and just didn't really know where to start. I currently own two terrestrial T's and am looking for a manageable arboreal like a Pinktoe to start with or a form of that. I'm not good with Latin names so it's difficult sometimes lol. Any suggestions on where I should get a Pinktoe online that's a decent price? I'm trying to stay on the lower price end since I'm somewhat new to the hobby and getting my feet wet before I start looking for a dream T. Any advice or info is much appreciated. Thanks :)

Meludox

3 Year Member
Don't buy from BackWater Reptiles. Many people who have ordered from them have received dead on arrivals from very poor packaging and wrongly sexed spiders. Some people have said they're great..but it's really not worth the risk.

PetCenterUSA or Jamie's Tarantulas would be good places to start buying from, I think. Both have a lot of species at good prices, excellently packed and they are each very responsive and kind people.

They both currently have some pretty good selections of Avicularia sp.
I would recommend Avicularia versicolor, just to keep things interesting with its gorgeous colors. :)

Meludox

3 Year Member
Don't buy from BackWater Reptiles. Many people who have ordered from them have received dead on arrivals from very poor packaging and wrongly sexed spiders. Some people have said they're great..but it's really not worth the risk.

PetCenterUSA or Jamie's Tarantulas would be good places to start buying from, I think. Both have a lot of species at good prices, excellently packed and they are each very responsive and kind people.

They both currently have some pretty good selections of Avicularia sp.
I would recommend Avicularia versicolor, just to keep things interesting with its gorgeous colors. :)

Arboreal species are not any harder to care for than terrestrial species. They do not require higher humidity or anything. Keep the substrate dry with a full water dish and you'll be good to go. You may want to keep a spiderling's enclosure just a tad more humid by misting the enclosure every now and again because slings are prone to dehydration. Do lots of reading up on this forum and don't be afraid to ask any and all questions. :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Welcome to the hobby!!! :). I agree with Meludox. Backwater is a bad place to purchase ANYTHING from (not just tarantulas). Those people have such a bad rep that they have more than one website affiliated with their business. Once people get familiar with one website that has a bad rep, the business owners will cover their *** by making new ones. Pet Center USA and Jamie's tarantulas are very good places to start. I would also recommend JR's Inverts and NetBug.Net (Anastasia)- she is a bit pricey but she has high quality specimens. I hope you find what you're looking for and it's very nice to meet you! You've joined a great forum with experienced keepers that will happily help you along the way! :). Don't hesitate to ask!

Thistles

3 Year Member
Pink toes are one of the few that you can get as adults from big box pet stores. I'd check local PetSmart or Petco stores first. There are members or sites that sell them, too, but shipping can more than double the price and imo isn't worth it for less expensive species you can get locally.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
avicularia require specific set ups in order to thrive. many beginners, myself included, set up their first avic wrong and killed it. they get recommended as a first arboreal only because most specimens are pretty calm and arent as defensive and prone to teleport like other NW arboreal genera. they are hardy once setup well. dont buy spiders from reptile dealers. im not from the states but i recommend petcenter.usa, jamiestarantulas, ken the bug guy. try to get one above 1.5" as they become a lot hardier after that point.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Speaking of Ken the Bug Guy- please be sure to read ALL terms of service per vendor you inquire from. Some vendors don't have extra specimens in stock (of the same species you purchase). If something happens (say DOA) of the one you purchase, the vendor will not give you a refund (even though that's what you wanted and originally purchased), they will give you a store credit which means you will have to choose something else from their list (if what you ordered is no longer in stock). To several people, this is quite disappointing because they're not getting what they wanted or paid for. Just research each vendor prior to purchase because it will leave room for less disappointment in the long run IF anything happens.

gottarantulas

3 Year Member
If you're looking at online vendors I agree with Casey K, you can never go wrong with Paul Becker at Pet Center USA, I'd even recommend Underground Reptiles. On the flipside, I also agree with Thistles in that you can very go down to your neighborhood Petco or Petsmart and buy them as well.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Or you can always purchase from my good friend Jason....aka "Brickster" (gottarantulas) ;). He'd never steer you wrong....:)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
IMG_20160625_145732330.jpg
Here she is, rotating and cradling her sac....being such a good mommy. I'm gonna say she is a few days in....

WVSpiderlover89

3 Year Member
Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm super excited. I'm shopping around a bit hopefully I'll get a friend I work with to go in an order with me. :) She got me all into this memorizing hobby. Lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Omg that would be so cool!
Yes. So far she is being a good mom. Doing an excellent job at rotating her sac and keeping her babies well....:). I'm sure she is gonna do fine. I'm gonna let them hatch out with her. Usually I pull my sacs but versicolors aren't as bad as O. violaceopes, lol.....those babies throw threat poses at 2i!!! Super cute, though.

Latest posts