• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Successful molt L Klugi !!

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
She molted successfully. When I looked on the underside of her enclosure, I saw a T with pink fangs instead of black fangs.

A quick search of her skull fortress revealed one leg that didn't belong there. Here's the shed skin. There's no abdomen for sexing, but when I saw pink fangs I also saw a small horizontal slit between the book lungs. I'm 95% sure it's a female.

I don't want to use a flash picture under her right now because I'm worried about stress. It's impossible to say how big she's become until I catch her outside.

I have a hunch that once the fangs harden up, she'll start being more visible. She's sort of a pet hole lately. The webbing over her burrow is gone. It looks like she molted directly in front of the burrow underneath her skull.

I also cleaned up everything and put the skull back while she's still underground. Usually she's inside of the skull, making that impossible. In fact, I rehoused her by simply moving the skull with her in it supported by my hand under it!!

L klugi Justina molt 1.jpg
L klugi Justina molt 2.jpg

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Update:

I'm sneezing like crazy.

The hairs are still very much effective!! I also tried putting my USB cable camera, which is designed to look into tight places easily, down into her hole but without success, no good footage at all just fleeting glimpses of some legs.

Perhaps once she's ready to eat, I should stop dropping feeders into her hiding place and just release them. Maybe if she has to hunt more, she'll be more visible.

Either way, no feeder has existed for over 24 hours!!

Last edited:

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Did someone follow me here from elsewhere?

1080??
L klugi after 1st molt.jpg

Alas, in any event, here's a pic from under the enclosure. She is progressing nicely. I will attempt feeding in a few days, once the fangs turn black.

Venom2090

3 Year Member
Sand is a NO GO forsure, looks like a empty container with with a little vermiculite at first glance. Your definitely going to want to change that out for sure but no need to be disrespectful about it.
I agree. But I've been talking to this member about their care for a while now, with no real results.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
I agree. But I've been talking to this member about their care for a while now, with no real results.
Ah I see, yeah you got to be open to any advice in this hobby. Everyones got there own way but it still all goes back to the basics. You'll learn the hard way with that sand though, you got to get that out bud, way too risky.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No no no!!

That's not the enclosure!! That's just the shed and some eco earth plus grunge I cleaned off of it's shelter.

The enclosure is a 3 gallon Terra blue professional series unit, a glass tank with a heavy duty bonded screen cover. Only eco earth is used.

The shed is in an empty margarine container.

It wasn't necessary to disturb the T in any way to get it out!! Her fangs are still darkening, next meal in about 4 to 5 days if they're black.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
No no no!!

That's not the enclosure!! That's just the shed and some eco earth plus grunge I cleaned off of it's shelter.

The enclosure is a 3 gallon Terra blue professional series unit, a glass tank with a heavy duty bonded screen cover. Only eco earth is used.

The shed is in an empty margarine container.

It wasn't necessary to disturb the T in any way to get it out!! Her fangs are still darkening, next meal in about 4 to 5 days if they're black.
That's what I thought to begin with, that's a good set up.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok, she's emerged back into the world in her usual location and looks awesome!!

The burrow she dug is directly in front of her but hard to see.

Klugi molt success2.jpg
Klugi molt success1.jpg

The annoying thing is that I have to take the pics from outside the glass. The phone won't fit inside and even if it did, she'll run down the hole.

Sadly she doesn't like to hang out and strike a pose for the world to see that often. The skull is her personal bunker from which prey items are targeted, an activity which will recur on Tuesday.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The gauges don't do any harm. I just want to know what is going on in there. If I'm trying to keep it at 80 degrees, I need a thermometer.

With raising temps, there's no such thing as safe guessing. 80 is within the mid range, maybe slightly high middle. 90 degrees is the extreme high range.

The problem is that my ex still lives with me and keeps the place at 68 degrees due to fibromyalgia, which clearly is not typical weather for the Amazon region, but the very extreme low range, occurring only in December. I'm just copying the climate conditions regardless of whether or not you can "get away" without doing that.

http://www.braziltravelinformation.com/brazil_weather_amazon.htm

I want to get her out of the sling stage, more like a juvenile about 3" leg span, maybe 4".

I haven't seen her fully extended yet, which makes getting an exact size difficult.

The entire Lasiodora genus is regarded as fairly hardy in captivity by all sources and caresheets I've looked at and often is even mentioned as possible first time tarantulas for those wanting a large size with no interest in handling. All sources I've looked into state that they tend to grow fast, a few even saying that they grow like weeds.

The enclosure she's in has excellent ventilation. It's probably one of the best you can buy anywhere built by a very reputable company. (wish they had something small enough for my other one, alas) I do need to use 2 small plastic panels on top to hold the heat in. These usually cover about 2/3rds of the top, which still allows for superior ventilation.

It's the one I don't have to worry about.

Last edited:

Latest posts