• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate?

KWISE89

What are people's thoughts on the best substrate mix? I have B. Boehmei and B Vagans slings. Looking for the best option to hold up for burrowing yet not to humid in the enclosure. Thanks!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
For arid lovers I just pack it down a little and leave it to the T to make its home. Even the tiniest sling will web the substrate to prevent any danger of burrow collapse.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I use just coco fibre for all my Ts and it seems to work well even for burrowers.
Me too.

It always starts out at least a little damp when I first rehydrate a compressed block. For small slings I leave it and keep it a little bit damp for all species. For older Brachypelma, I let it mostly dry out and just overflow the water bowl a little bit from time to time, a trick I learned here in just the last few months.

KWISE89

I already rehoused the Brachypelmas but when it is time again I am going to try the excavator/sand/cocofiber mix. They seem to be doing great in the current coco fiber so far though.

Nunua

3 Year Member
I'm also using just coco fibre for all my Ts and here are two examples of burrowing Brachypelma slings. They're doing absolutely perfect.
B. albopilosum - You can actually see the grayish web around the holes. Walls of the burrow are the same.
d9f6d4e68c.png

B. auratum
- Sorry for the horrible quality, but the burrow goes right above the holes.
0ba9b7b301.png

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My little Hysterocrates sp Hercules has built burrows down to the bottom of the container with a tunnel right round the bottom and one through the middle that you can see right through leaving just 2 pillars of substrate and web to hold everything up. Somewhere in there, there is a 2" piece of plant and a small chunk of cork bark.

DSCF7169 (2).JPG

DSCF7175 (2).JPG

KWISE89

Ok new question. I think there is mold beginning in one of my sling enclosures. Hapalopus sp. columbia has been dug in for about 2 weeks so I'm thinking premolt. Do I address the mold or let the molt run it's course?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Ok new question. I think there is mold beginning in one of my sling enclosures. Hapalopus sp. columbia has been dug in for about 2 weeks so I'm thinking premolt. Do I address the mold or let the molt run it's course?
Let it molt. Mold, like mites, is only a problem when left unchecked. Never mess with a webbed up, closed off spider unless absolutely neccesary. You'll do more harm than good.

Latest posts