• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
I am wondering if it is common to create of mix of coco fibers and soil for a t's substrate. I have heard of some mixing vermiculite with coco fibers. any thoughts? What's best? What about mixing a peat moss in as well?

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Depends on the species of invert you are trying to keep. But since you are looking at more soil than sand, I will assume you are needing humidity, I usually mix 30% vermiculite with coco fiber (Eco Earth). The vermiculite aids in drainage and assists with preventing molds. Never gone wrong with it.

Last edited:

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
We call them springtails. Tropical woodlice work well too. They don' get rid of mites. They break down rotting food stuff and moulds.

Interesting... I read this in the "Tarantulas Keeper's Guide". I'd never heard of the isopods eating mites until I read this. Thanks for the advice.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Interesting... I read this in the "Tarantulas Keeper's Guide". I'd never heard of the isopods eating mites until I read this. Thanks for the advice.
Isopods only eat animals if they are dead I think. Springtails I hear can be beneficial too but I don't have much experience with them. The isopods, are to help clean up the enclosure so u don't get mold and mites in the first place not to eat the mites.

Dustin Amack

3 Year Member
Isopods only eat animals if they are dead I think. Springtails I hear can be beneficial too but I don't have much experience with them. The isopods, are to help clean up the enclosure so u don't get mold and mites in the first place not to eat the mites.

Good to know, thanks

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Will the T bother these? Consider them food? And how many and do you leave them in there all the time?
if the spider is small enough it will eat them from time to time....but whats a little snack. lol they r very very small so most of the time the spiders don't care. If you put a hand full in and they have things to eat they will reproduce.