• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate questions

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Hey gang quick question about substrate. I'm using the ecoearth substrate and it appears to be discoloring as if mold is growing (it's turning white and looks fuzzy). Is this normal? My other question is what kind of maintenance does the substrate require? I haven't seen too many vids on this matter and the discoloration has me a little concerned. Thanks in advance for any info!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feel the eco-earth. If it is a web-mat, it will feel normal and a bit webby. If eco-earth gets too soggy, it can grow fungus. Is your substrate dry or at least moist. The most moist I keep mine is enough to retain, but not drip, water. I use eco-earth like this for my M. robustum. If you can, a picture might help.

Rickdawg73

3 Year Member
Thanks for all the input! I scraped the top layer to remove the fungus and turned my substrate a bit. It was very dry so I think what was growing was just feeding off the water I was using to keep the substrate moist. For now I'll stick with keeping the water bowl full and overflow it once a week when I do a water change. My T seems ok so I'm not too worried :)

Latest posts