• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate questions

torstrum

3 Year Member
hey guys, I've got my T on dry coco peat, I remember hearing at some point that dry coco peat can bug them(being loose and all, and she seems to sink into it a little/get a little stuck to her legs/underside) and it seems very loose, almost sandy. I don't mist it, I've heard you could "pack it down" but all my attempts to spray it(getting only the top layer wet, is that the problem?) resulted in nothing but wet sub(which annoys my b emilia), and a layer of substrate on whatever i tried to push it down with. any tips? is she fine as is?(doubt it)

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is it coco, or peat or a 50/50 mix? regardless, I've never heard of or seen any T have trouble with any combo of coco or peat.
What species are we talking about.

torstrum

3 Year Member
It's just coco peat, I have a B emilia. I put her on coco peat not long after I bought her and she hasn't really done anything weird except turn down crickets. She's only been eating about weekly-twice weekly(shes a juvi, maybe 3 inches long) for a while now(is that a sign of premolt? She molted back in the beginning of march, she's been 50/50 take em or leave em with the crickets since... a little before summer maybe. I just read that you should fully withhold feeding, how long should I go if she doesnt molt?). I thought I read something on this forum(my main place for T info) about that but if you've not heard that I'm sure she's fine. You've seen her before but the thread probably isn't up, this is the only pic of her on my comp :p from waaay back when she was still on sand the jackass at the pet store sold me

Attachments

• IMG_0095.JPG
    IMG_0095.JPG
    285.1 KB · Views: 16

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
once weekly is plenty of food. I feed my mid-sized brachys once every 3 weeks or so.
If she is in pre-molt her but will be very very dark, and she will refuse food. Being emilia have black buts as it is you kind of just have to gauge her behavior.
feed her once a week and remove any uneaten food after 24 hours. If she doesn't eat try again next week.
If shee seals her self in a hole, or maked a webbing matt just stop until 2 weeks after she molts. and don't touch her.