• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Substrate for aesthetic

SpellKaster4

Hey everyone!

So, I haven't really posted about my LP in a bit. No news is good news as they say. Since the last post Peter has molted a bunch, ate a bunch, and only been in one bad mood so that's good lol. He's roughly 3.5" now maybe and going strong. ANYWAY! I've been doing a lot of thinking about his future permanent home once he's done/close to done growing. I want to do something overly nice, more for my own satisfaction than Peter's I'm sure. Cool decorations, live plants, the works. I really want to get my hands dirty so to speak. So, to get to the question finally. I know that coco fiber is all you really need for substrate but I want to make a mix that will look a little nicer while also being beneficial for plant growth and everything else needed to create a bioactive enclosure. I've read of people using potting soil but that just doesn't feel right. I was thinking of using coco fiber and something like the jungle mix that Zilla offers. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Also, as a side question, any suggestions for creating natural looking walls? I plan on limiting the height so there is less risk of fall damage since LPs are so heavy. I've been watching The Dark Den's videos. He takes styrofoam and uses aquarium silicon to glue substrate to it then does the same to glue it to the enclosure wall. Thoughts? Suggestions? Any other ideas for creating walls that give that look? I thought about excavator clay but it's a little too desert looking for a LP.

ANYWAY again! Thanks in advance for the help!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Tarantulaguy1976 is way better YouTube channel for tarantula enclosure info. Rob C is the godfather of all tarantula YouTube videos. Theres hours of videos answering all your questions. His enclosures are some of the best around. He doesnt do videos anymore but his page is still up.

SpellKaster4

Tarantulaguy1976 is way better YouTube channel for tarantula enclosure info. Rob C is the godfather of all tarantula YouTube videos. Theres hours of videos answering all your questions. His enclosures are some of the best around. He doesnt do videos anymore but his page is still up.
His videos were actually the first that I watched on the hobby a few years ago. I'll have to go through them again and see what he says about all that. Right now all I can remember are the feeding videos and "BAM" lol.

SpellKaster4

The most aesthetically pleasing to me would be excavator clay. Dries and looks like a desert. An Lp would be fine in it.
I was thinking of using it to build a background to the enclosure. Me being me though I'm thinking of themes and such lol. That clay looks like a lot of fun to mess with though, seems like you can really do a lot with it.

Latest posts