• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Subdue techniques for pinch grip

spodermin

I have a spider that is not very aggressive but is extremely fast that I want to pinch lift. Does anybody have any suggestions as to how I can do this without getting bit or harming the spider?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pinch grab spiders...you will get bit. That's my advice. :D
I tried it once with a stirmi and almost got my thumb nail pierced.
Ive never attempted it with fast spiders...usually slower terrestrial Ts that are usually sickly.
Dont know of any techniques except being fast and precise. Any hesitation may be catastrophic for yourself. I wouldnt try it with a species with good (or better then average) eyesight. Sorry but that's all I got.
Good luck

spodermin

Pinch grab spiders...you will get bit. That's my advice. :D
I tried it once with a stirmi and almost got my thumb nail pierced.
Ive never attempted it with fast spiders...usually slower terrestrial Ts that are usually sickly.
Dont know of any techniques except being fast and precise. Any hesitation may be catastrophic for yourself. I wouldnt try it with a species with good (or better then average) eyesight. Sorry but that's all I got.
Good luck

The particular species in question is chromatopelma cyaneopubescens, which is verrry skittish and pretty damn fast. I'm not a fan of the technique in the first place, but it has become necessary.

Basically what I'm looking for is a way to secure it in one place so that there is a no fail execution, but I havent come up with much

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
I have to say, I’ve always kind of wanted to give this a try but I’m not man enough to say I have. I could never figure out how people successfully scoop up their spider without it caring enough to try to bite.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You would have to have matrix like abilities to pull that off :cool:. Like @Arachnoclown said, you would get bit so the way I have any control over my OW's is trap them under a deli container and move them with a small piece of cardboard or paintbrush. Emergency situations would call for handling, (at your own risk). I got quick handles and have dealt with pretty fast and aggressive T's, but I would not attempt to pinch grip any OW as that would more than likely piss them off further. I give you props if you can pull that off my friend, please be safe!

Latest posts