• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stuck molt? Need advice

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
just came back after weekend and I suspected my b albopilsum had molted. He's now In view with the molt stuck to him. He is out just a lil on abdomen.what shall I do? I'm thinking cut the molt so it doesn't hinder him then wait till next. Suggestions very welcome

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 50

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Using a moist brush and a pair of tweezers, take hold of the old exo and moisten the bit that is still attached to your T. Hopefully the T will walk away and you can gently pull off the bit that is stuck. It may just come away as you moisten it with the brush. Otherwise you may have to trim off most of the old moult and wait for next time.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's off now. As I grabbed the molt he dissapeared down his hole and it came off. It didn't come off clean so don't know if he's ok or not. Fingers crossed he will be fine. It's been hot here recently and there is a chance the humidity was low as I didn't have the chance to moisten over the weekend. Could that be what caused the issue?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Good, you should be able to tell from the moult if anything is missing. As long as the fangs and mouth are clear along with the anus all should be well.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
So just having a look around (because I love looking at my Ts more than any other reason) and unfortunately this lil guy is fighting what I believe to be a death curl. Found him basically stuck in a divot in his substrate unable to get out. I've moved him to a different container where I've completely flattened the substrate and placed nothing but a water dish. He's fighting but unfortunately I'd say he's as good as done

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ohh no. Sadly it happens all too often that they die just after moulting. It seems some are not meant to survive. All you can do is to make sure it is close to the water and maybe it will recover now that it is no longer stuck in the divot.

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
At first I thought his back legs were messed up in the molt but he's getting progressively worse. It's a shame really.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 28

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
At first I thought his back legs were messed up in the molt but he's getting progressively worse. It's a shame really.

It's heartbreaking especially as there is so little we can do to help them

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's heartbreaking especially as there is so little we can do to help them

First loss He's still hanging on but as nasty as it sounds I can't bring myself to "end it" for him.

While on this thread. What's the difference between hobby form and true albopilsum? Someone asked and I wasn't sure. Is it just a colour variant?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
First loss He's still hanging on but as nasty as it sounds I can't bring myself to "end it" for him.

While on this thread. What's the difference between hobby form and true albopilsum? Someone asked and I wasn't sure. Is it just a colour variant?

I could never end it for one either, I prefer to let them slip away in peace.

The hobby form of B. albo is the Honduran while the Nicaraguan is considered the True form and is more hairy.