• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Striped knee tarantula starting to dig

Livingdeadgirl08

3 Year Member
I have a striped knee and idk how old it is. I got it about a month or more ago from an expo. She lives in a hollow log mostly and has been doing excellent with feedings and living her spider life. However for the past 3 days shes been digging this hole in the corner of her home. I know they are known to burrow and thats why i left that side of her enclosure with nearly 4 inches of substrate for her to use if she wanted. Idk it just seems weird since shes never done it before. Any advice?

Attachments

• 20200722_114207.jpg
    20200722_114207.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • 20200722_114457.jpg
    20200722_114457.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43

Rs50matt

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It’s what they do :). Not all but a lot of Ts love to bulldoze their enclosures. You’ll find water dishes flipped moved and full of substrate. Hides full of plant sub and anything but the T. It’s fun to watch. You may notice a lot of keepers post pictures with multiple bottle tops or dishes as you get abit fed up with constantly digging up their old ones lol

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Its just tarantula doing its tarantula things.
Nothing you can do to stop it.It will do exactly as it pleases.
They do all sort if weird stuff.My Brachypelma hamorii was happy with its home till she moulted the last time.Now she is bulldozing all the time.Water dish and cork hide all over the place or both buried in the substrate. There are not 2 days the enclosure looks the same.
Regards Konstantin

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
One of my Lasiodora parahybana's is a big WW1 fan & has rearranged her enclosure to resemble the Somme.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She's awful fat. Usually, if you get them from expos (depending on vendor) they are wild caught imports. In that case, it could be a possibility that she is gravid. My seemani did this right before a molt....and then right before a sac.

Livingdeadgirl08

3 Year Member
She's awful fat. Usually, if you get them from expos (depending on vendor) they are wild caught imports. In that case, it could be a possibility that she is gravid. My seemani did this right before a molt....and then right before a sac.
How long are they gravid? Ive had her at least 2 months maybe even 3. If she is that would be quite the surprise lol

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How long are they gravid? Ive had her at least 2 months maybe even 3. If she is that would be quite the surprise lol

Oh they stay gravid for months at times. Most species drop a sac within a few months from being bred but Aphonopelma are the one's that can hold on a bit longer. If she does drop a sac, you'll know. It'll look like a golf ball under her fangs, lol. :) A. seemani was one of the first sacs I acquired. I didn't breed her but she was purchased as a WC female. I didn't know she was gravid until I checked on her one day....she was in her hide but had a curtain of web completely covering the entrance. I assumed she was molting so I tore a tiny hole in the curtain and peeked inside with a light. Sure enough she had made a wonderful sac! Over 200 babies!

Livingdeadgirl08

3 Year Member
Oh they stay gravid for months at times. Most species drop a sac within a few months from being bred but Aphonopelma are the one's that can hold on a bit longer. If she does drop a sac, you'll know. It'll look like a golf ball under her fangs, lol. :) A. seemani was one of the first sacs I acquired. I didn't breed her but she was purchased as a WC female. I didn't know she was gravid until I checked on her one day....she was in her hide but had a curtain of web completely covering the entrance. I assumed she was molting so I tore a tiny hole in the curtain and peeked inside with a light. Sure enough she had made a wonderful sac! Over 200 babies!
Cant wait to find out lol myhusband and i are new to the hobby. We really love it so far. Our pink toe is so stubbourn tho and barely eats for us.

Jim_in_PA

A Semmani's are fossorial I think (correct me if I am wrong). Mine has dug to the very bottom of every enclosure its been in and creates elaborate tunnels from one end to the other.

Livingdeadgirl08

3 Year Member
So far my T just goes into the corner on the enclosure, in her hole, and stares at the wall. All day and all night lol she refuses food so im guessing shes in premolt? She looks so depressed lol i hope she molts soon. Im still providing her with plenty of fresh water in case she wants it.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just for you not to be worried I went to take a picture of mine. As you can see she is also quite fat and “reorganizing” all the time
585ABFB3-7C7E-4B11-A4DC-C65B27261DF1.jpeg