• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stressful Molt

TarantulaNoobE

My daughters Class Tarantula has had a stressful molt I have a rose hair at home so know some about care but have never had mine go through this kind of stress. Upon discovering the spider upside down a teachers aide thought she fell and was injured so she picked the tarantula up and flipped it over. Then seeing that the dish was low on water she filled the dish and flooded part of the enclosure. I stayed up with the tarantula as she finished her molt without a lot of difficulty other then flipping back over. I have erred on the side of caution and not moved her and instead used paper towels to absorb excess fluid and leave the Tarantula in its current enclosure because I don't want to stress her further. Stance looks fairly relaxed and does not appear to be in a defensive position but she is hiding behind her front legs with her abdomen low resting on the ground. I don't have the best picture but one of the aides wants to move her to an ICU enclosure and I am worried about stressing her further especially as the biggest concern was the extra water but that is at most a little damp at this point.

Attachments

• 20220516_120756.jpg
    20220516_120756.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 18

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right.

These days ICUs are considered more problematic than helpful, based on what I have been reading. Most suggest making sure there is plenty of water to drink. It is hard to tell how much water is in the dish, but make sure it is easy and enough for the T to drink from.

Other recommendations should come from more experienced keepers and i am sure they will offer some suggestions.

TarantulaNoobE

Since she was picked up that got me stressed about her sucking stomach but it looks like that part went fine honestly I really have a rudimentary understanding.

Attachments

• 20220516_193001.jpg
    20220516_193001.jpg
    590.9 KB · Views: 8

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Only humans stress...not spiders. They know exactly what they are doing. When in doubt always step back and let them do their thing, they haven't needed human assistance for millions of years.

P.S. Tarantulas don't need a ICU. Just water the substrate in their enclosure underneath them. It does the same thing without placing them in a unfamiliar/uncomfortable environment.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Much ado about nothing. There are very few tarantula emergencies short of escape. They don't need our help, just proper husbandry.

Sit back and let the magic happen

Welcome to the forum

TarantulaNoobE

Only humans stress...not spiders. They know exactly what they are doing. When in doubt always step back and let them do their thing, they haven't needed human assistance for millions of years.

P.S. Tarantulas don't need a ICU. Just water the substrate in their enclosure underneath them. It does the same thing without placing them in a unfamiliar/uncomfortable environment.
Thank you so much for the feedback and time. I really don't know if T's feel pain or distress but am glad she looks to have come through it intact.

BioScorpion

From my experience when they are molting just leave them alone. Like others said, I wouldn't say they are "stressed" but rather you can disturb them.

Latest posts