• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange pale spot on Abdomen

Vlad805

Hello I'm new to the group. I actually joined because I'm slightly worried about my new Mexican Red Knee. I have had her since last October and she has molted once in my care roughly a month or so ago. Just yesterday I noticed a strange looking spot appear on her abdomen. When I first got her she had a prominent bald spot (probably due to kicking from stress as well as getting ready to molt) and this spot doesn't really match the coloration of that said bald spot. I was hoping you guys can take a look at it and let me know if it's something you have seen in the past. I was told by someone that it looks like it could be a cancer... I really hope not because I just lost my beloved Rose Hair after 10+ years of owning her and I was heartbroken.

Below is her husbandry

Substrate: coconut husk
Hides: tree bark (not sure what kind)
Food source: store-bought crickets
Hydration: filtered water
Temperature range: 70-80 degrees (70 on cold side and 80 on warm side)
Humidity: 50ish

No pesticides used in the house at all.

Also another sidenote is that she has been very active lately! At first she spent most of her time in her den, but recently has been moving around all over the enclosure and when climbing up the glass. She's been eating, but recently started refusing meals.

Attachments

• IMG_20190201_184933.jpg
    IMG_20190201_184933.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_20190201_184954.jpg
    IMG_20190201_184954.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_20190201_184959.jpg
    IMG_20190201_184959.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20190201_184945.jpg
    IMG_20190201_184945.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Vlad805

Hello I'm new to the group. I actually joined because I'm slightly worried about my new Mexican Red Knee. I have had her since last October and she has molted once in my care roughly a month or so ago. Just yesterday I noticed a strange looking spot appear on her abdomen. When I first got her she had a prominent bald spot (probably due to kicking from stress as well as getting ready to molt) and this spot doesn't really match the coloration of that said bald spot. I was hoping you guys can take a look at it and let me know if it's something you have seen in the past. I was told by someone that it looks like it could be a cancer... I really hope not because I just lost my beloved Rose Hair after 10+ years of owning her and I was heartbroken.

Below is her husbandry

Substrate: coconut husk
Hides: tree bark (not sure what kind)
Food source: store-bought crickets
Hydration: filtered water
Temperature range: 70-80 degrees (70 on cold side and 80 on warm side)
Humidity: 50ish

No pesticides used in the house at all.

Also another sidenote is that she has been very active lately! At first she spent most of her time in her den, but recently has been moving around all over the enclosure and when climbing up the glass. She's been eating, but she refused the last cricket I offered her yesterday 1/1/19.

So since I last posted that spot has been getting smaller she at this point it's very hard to see so I think it was either get balding or maybe she got some poop on herself and it's been rubbing off more she more.

Attachments

• IMG_20190213_092134_727.jpg
    IMG_20190213_092134_727.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20190213_073435.jpg
    IMG_20190213_073435.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 6

Nunua

3 Year Member
Like everyone else has said, no worries. Also, I don't think that the bald spot has gone any smaller. You just don't see / pay attention on it as much as at the first time because the loose hair has dropped off ;)

Here's the butt of my genic right after she kicked some hair at me. Small, loose urticating hairs are very light in colour.
2111cda5e1.png

Last edited:

Latest posts