• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Strange GBB behavior. Seeking Advice.

Zach Atkinson

3 Year Member
Hello, i'm new to the hobby and a few weeks ago I got myself a Juvenile Green Bottle Blue, i read online that they usually are out in the open and sling webbing everywhere but ever since i got she just hid under the cork bark and she hasn't come out from there since. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong here or if its normal for when they are moved into a new enclosure they hide at first, just looking for advice. the humidity of the enclosure is usually around 40-50% and the temperature usually stays around 60-70 °F. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
A new move is always stressful for ur spider. Give him time to settle...also don't worly about the humidity. Just keep a full water dish and dry substrate. Also ur temperatures are a little too low. 72 to75 is where I keep mine. In low temps ur spiders will be a lot less active.

Zach Atkinson

3 Year Member
A new move is always stressful for ur spider. Give him time to settle...also don't worly about the humidity. Just keep a full water dish and dry substrate. Also ur temperatures are a little too low. 72 to75 is where I keep mine. In low temps ur spiders will be a lot less active.
Thank you, i will try keep the temperature up then. I appreciate the response :)

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello, i'm new to the hobby and a few weeks ago I got myself a Juvenile Green Bottle Blue, i read online that they usually are out in the open and sling webbing everywhere but ever since i got she just hid under the cork bark and she hasn't come out from there since. I don't know if i'm doing something wrong here or if its normal for when they are moved into a new enclosure they hide at first, just looking for advice. the humidity of the enclosure is usually around 40-50% and the temperature usually stays around 60-70 °F. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
No problem. That's what we r here for :)

MyLilRed

3 Year Member
I was worried about that too when I got into the hobby but it's normal for them to hide when they are little or after rehousing. It will be just fine, don't worry :)
I agree with @Marija. I got my 4" GBB female back on Dec 11 2016 and she stayed in her hide for a few days to only discover she was making up her a nice little mat for her to moult, in which occured I believe on Christmas Eve. Now that she has that out of the way she comes out for awhile, but still likes the security of her hide..

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In my experience the bigger they get, the more u see themore. Of course this isn't true for all species but most importantly have had.

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Well I was gonna add my 2 cents but seems like everything's been covered lol good luck with the new addition!

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
catching up on threads after the holidays ;) This one made me chuckle, is there any normal GBB behavior?

Both of my GBB's ignored their hides, webbed them shut and avoided them, except maybe to sit on them now and then. They both have numerous web tunnels they use as hides.

Latest posts