• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Stomping violently? Strange behavior...

Christopher Knoble

3 Year Member
So I have searched all over the web and can not find a legitimate answer. I know for a fact she is not kicking hairs, that is ruled out... My Chilean Rose started to behave strangely. Any time I enter the room or make ANY kind of vibration she begins to violently stomp all of her legs for about 7 seconds. I don't really know how to explain it. She is very nervous and jumpy. If you need any more information to assess this behavior please ask and I will try to provide you with some more info.
Also there are no eggs, nor has she ever had a mate. Thank you for your help :)

Christopher Knoble

3 Year Member
I haven't really handled her since she started. That video is less intense as well. She goes crazier than that. I really have no idea when she has last molted. I have only had her for a few months. Still young I believe. 2/3 the size of my Mature G.Rosea.

Christopher Knoble

3 Year Member
Ok so probably best I don't handle her. She is very aggressive right now. She has some massive fangs for her size too. I have setup a better molt environment for her if that is the case. She does have a bald spot on the top of her abdomen, but it is not dark at all.

spazz

3 Year Member
Ok so probably best I don't handle her. She is very aggressive right now. She has some massive fangs for her size too. I have setup a better molt environment for her if that is the case. She does have a bald spot on the top of her abdomen, but it is not dark at all.
It is possible that this is just her personality. A lot of people think animals like these have none, but that just isn't the case. I have seem rosea's that are sweet and docile, and some that would try to take your head off. I personally had one that would rear back and flash her fangs every time I picked her up, but she never bit. The very first rosea I ever held flicked hairs all over me and tried to run from me. The one I have now is a puppy dog, but every now and then she stops around her enclosure like she is river dancing.

Point is there may just not be an explanation for this behaviour, and she may never be one that will let you handle her, or even mellow out at all. Personally I hope it is just a phase, and you will end up with a nice docile specimen.

Christopher Knoble

3 Year Member
@spazz - That does make a lot of sense. I appreciate your input. That at least gives me a broader perspective on the species and a peace of mind with her behavior. Although she has let me handle her many times before without any attempt to bite me or flick hair she has always been very nervous and jumpy. So maybe in some time she will chill out again. I will give her some quiet time in her own room for a few days and see if that will help any.

I am wondering if it has anything to do with my other G. Rosea being right next to her? I assume they can no doubt sense other t's...

spazz

3 Year Member
@spazz -

I am wondering if it has anything to do with my other G. Rosea being right next to her? I assume they can no doubt sense other t's...

I doubt that would have an effect. At least not like the one you are seeing. Males drum to attract females, but I doubt that would apply to this case. My guess, and this is just a guess, is that it is a quirk. Mine likes to sit with one leg up on the glass. I have no idea why. Never really had another that did that. Go figure.

Ceratogyrus

3 Year Member
Doesn't look healthy from that video.
I hate using the term cause it is so misunderstood, but looks like early signs of diskinetic syndrome (Whatever that may be)

spazz

3 Year Member
Doesn't look healthy from that video.
I hate using the term cause it is so misunderstood, but looks like early signs of diskinetic syndrome (Whatever that may be)
That's one I didn't think of. I've never encountered it myself. It is not necessarily fatal though.

This is from an article I found on it:

Not much is known about the disorder called dyskinetic syndrome - it remains a mystery disease. Afflicted tarantulas usually exhibit uncontrolled twitching of the legs, sometimes with such force that the tarantula is thrown about. Some people have reported cases where the tarantula jerked back and forth - frontwards, then backwards.

Researchers are trying to find the cause, but right now there are only some ideas held by experienced tarantula breeders and keepers. Pesticides that accidentally get on the tarantula's food or are sprayed in the household are suspect. Other chemicals, such as air fresheners and cleaning products may also be involved. Mold in the cage is another possibility. Stressed animals are most likely to be affected, so stress may be an important factor, too.

Very few things have been found to help. Some time with the cage placed in a very humid bathroom has been reported helpful by some owners. Some tarantulas get better on their own, while others die. You can try the humid bathroom - run a hot shower until the room becomes steamy. Make sure the food you give is pesticide free, and remove any suspicious chemicals from the tarantulas room.

Christopher Knoble

3 Year Member
Well she was eating mice for a few weeks. but she has stopped eating as of a week and a half ago. Wont accept crickets either. I do have her in a humid bathroom running steamy water for a min or so every so often. She has seemed to stop freaking at the slightest vibration apparently. I walk into the bathroom and no hissy fit. I will do my best to take care of her. I will also keep you all posted on her progress if there is any. Thanks you guys. All are very helpful. Wish I could cheers ya or give you a point or something.

spiderengineer

3 Year Member
Well she was eating mice for a few weeks. but she has stopped eating as of a week and a half ago. Wont accept crickets either. I do have her in a humid bathroom running steamy water for a min or so every so often. She has seemed to stop freaking at the slightest vibration apparently. I walk into the bathroom and no hissy fit. I will do my best to take care of her. I will also keep you all posted on her progress if there is any. Thanks you guys. All are very helpful. Wish I could cheers ya or give you a point or something.

first off stop feeder her mice (has she been acting like this since you have been feeding her mice) second she could be in premolt and it will most likely be a while if she is in premolt (of course she could also just be fasting) hopefully she is in premolt and if she molts then the problem could be corrected. lastly no more mice

spazz

3 Year Member
I am assuming you mean pinky mice. And how often are you giving them to her? Mice should only be offered ocasionally as a treat. I don't really think that could account for her behavior, unless you offered her one that was able to injure her and it did.

Christopher Knoble

3 Year Member
Yes pinkies. One one week and another a week later. (didn't want to kill it myself and my other T didn't want it. ) It didn't look like she had any trouble subduing them.

@spiderengineer- Yeah I wasn't sure on buying the pinkies, the guy at my exotic pet store told me I should as they get bigger. I never realized that they could potentially be harmful to the T.

Latest posts