• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spiderling for a Beginner?

ObviouslyEli

3 Year Member
I'm getting a Mexican Red Knee tarantula in a few months (late November, early December) and love the idea of raising one from a sling. But are they [spiderlings] recommended for Beginners? I have never owned a tarantula before, but it has been a dream of mine to have one from a very early age.

I've been researching raising slings, and I'm apprehensive around some certain areas. How often do they molt? Can it be left while I'm at school for 8+ hours? How often must they be fed and at what size should a water source be available?

Any additional information would be greatly appreciated :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yes all Brachypelma are good for beginners. They are extremely slow-growing. How often they molt depends on how often they're fed and what the temperatures are like where you live , as well as the gender of the spider. Of course they can be left alone. What do you think the rest of us do? We sure don't bring them to work with us. Slings can be fed every 3-5 days although you can feed them more or less. They can be given a water dish even when small. I use a bottle cap for slings. They won't drown.

Hope this helps.

ObviouslyEli

3 Year Member
Yes all Brachypelma are good for beginners. They are extremely slow-growing. How often they molt depends on how often they're fed and what the temperatures are like where you live , as well as the gender of the spider. Of course they can be left alone. What do you think the rest of us do? We sure don't bring them to work with us. Slings can be fed every 3-5 days although you can feed them more or less. They can be given a water dish even when small. I use a bottle cap for slings. They won't drown.

Hope this helps.

Thank you xD This helps a lot!

ObviouslyEli

3 Year Member
What is the exact equipment for rearing a spiderling?

So far, this is what I have on my Check List:

1. Braplast Tub (1.3ltr)
  2. Spiderling Pots (55mm x 30mm)
  3. Pipette
  4. Coco Fibre
  5. Vermiculite
Also, how long would it take a B. Smithi to grow large enough for a terrarium?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
What is the exact equipment for rearing a spiderling?

So far, this is what I have on my Check List:

1. Braplast Tub (1.3ltr)
  2. Spiderling Pots (55mm x 30mm)
  3. Pipette
  4. Coco Fibre
  5. Vermiculite
Also, how long would it take a B. Smithi to grow large enough for a terrarium?

A very long time. They are sloooow growers.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I use live small crickets or prekilled if they don't take live ones. I don't like mealworms too much because they burrow and can much on a molting spider.

Latest posts