• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider plants in enclosures?

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I know it sounds like a joke question, but it's not. Does anyone use spider plants (Chlorophytum comosum) in their enclosures?

I keep thinking I ought to make my stirmi's enclosure nicer for her & it occurred to me that spider plants have several advantages.

1. They are robust plants with a reputation for being able to thrive in less than ideal conditions.
2. They are one of the better plants for purifying air.
3. They do not need as much sunlight as most plants.

NASA conducted a number of tests on plants to see if they could help make our homes better places to live. I believe they even tried them on the ISS.

The following is a link to the NASA report.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/19930073077.pdf

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The problem with live plants is the soil they are in may contain chemicals and pesticides.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Maybe something like clover would work. That plant can do well in poor soil because it can pull nitrogen from the air and won't get to tall or clutter up the cage.

menavodi

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Spider plants are getting too big or you need a large terrarium. LOL
I use these:
Epipremnum pinnatum, small ferns like Nephrolepis exaltata. Ficus pumila and also Peperomia caperata

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
When in doubt, pothos! :p

Pothos, Devils Ivy, is one of the best plants for cleaning the air. HOWEVER, it contains calcium oxalate crystals which are absorbed by soft tissue, such as inside the mouth & which are known to be poisonous to humans & at least some pets, such as cats & dogs.

The above only relates to chewed plants & as far as I know T's will not chew plants, but could it affect them if you mist the enclosure & they take moisture from on top of the plant?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@m0lsx there are so many artificial plants that look just like the real thing that dont need soil, wont die, need special attention, can be easily cleaned, I just don't really see the value.

Yes aesthetically pleasing and good for oxygenation etc but you can set up a nice enclosure with false plants.

I have this ready for female stirmi I am waiting to receive (once she has moulted and recovered) 45x45 exo
20200529_123136.jpg

Latest posts