• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider names

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well I guess I name all my spiders, but I only use the letter t for the first letter, trina,(harley queens name) t rex, t bone, t money,t j, tankmister. Crazy I know, but I will be honest, I knocked back a few right now, so I'm feeling good!
I hope t money brings you good fortune like my money spider has brought for me. I will take him to the betting shop with me when he is bigger.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i name my T's when it comes to me... usually after i see their personality.
Yes, something always comes to mind, sometimes straight away, cupid was love at first sight for me so I named him after a lurve God. I won fifty pound on a scratch card when I bought money spider. I think Rapunzel may be male and hercules female tho so might have got it wrong with them two.....

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
My girlfriend got me an Avicularia Metallica (green/red) for xmas :) , so we named her Meri, she is helping fuel the love for these amazing critters too we went and looked at another great looking metallica that was all black and silver , and she wanted some chinese water dragons so we got 2 of those yesterday , the house is beggining to look like an exotic zoo

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356882105341.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356882105341.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 24
  • uploadfromtaptalk1356882155874.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356882155874.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 25

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
We havent named them yet we can even sex them till about a year old ... So we are prolly gonna hold off till we can either get the names right for sure or go with a name that is not gender biases

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We havent named them yet we can even sex them till about a year old ... So we are prolly gonna hold off till we can either get the names right for sure or go with a name that is not gender biases
Good idea! they are really cute .

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My son named two of our T's; he named our rescued A.avic Karina, and he named the Rosie I got him as an early Christmas present, Noelle (or Noah if it's male), and I have a couple names in mind for our little OBT, but haven't decided yet.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well, she definitely has personality lol. She is very protective over a water bottle cap, she'll latch on to it and not let it go...she's even charged at me over lol. I finally got her into her new enclosure today, so hopefully with some extra space she'll calm down a little bit :)

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
That's awesome :) , she sounds like a sweet spider , how big of a space does she have now ? my little "Meri" has a full 10 gallon to herself :) , and she uses most of the top space avoiding dirt lol definetly a girl :) (at least im hoping)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's awesome :) , she sounds like a sweet spider , how big of a space does she have now ? my little "Meri" has a full 10 gallon to herself :) , and she uses most of the top space avoiding dirt lol definetly a girl :) (at least im hoping)
I was completely expecting her to be a boring 'pet rock', but she's definitely anything but! I'm so glad my son decided he wanted her and we got to take her home, been so much fun to watch :) She's got a 10 gallon as well, it's probably overkill, but I had it laying around and she needed something larger than the teeny critter keeper she was in. Hoping that the extra room will make her less likely to want to charge me in the future LOL.

What kind of substrate are you using? Sometimes if they don't like the substrate or it's too wet they'll climb to avoid it. Also if she is climbing a lot, make sure there's not a long drop to the bottom. I filled my 10 gallon pretty full of substrate, left only about 2 times her leg span from the top...just so if she does fall it's not going to injure her.

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
Well being she is a natural climber I only have about 2 inches of semi moist cocoa fiber loosly packed I watched her for the first good while and even fed her sideways on the glass from about 2 inches above the substrate and she has a great grip :) , right now she actually has 1 toe on the dirt while the rest of her is still up on the glass , I would say she has about 3 -3 1/2 times her leg span to climb ,been debating on turning the aquarium sideways to give her more area above ground as that is what ive read all over that they like that ,but if I do I that im gonna put a few more plants lining some sides .
And she will walk across the ground if I put her down there but she doesn't stay down there, maybe Its cause I started by putting her on the glass ...

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well being she is a natural climber I only have about 2 inches of semi moist cocoa fiber loosly packed I watched her for the first good while and even fed her sideways on the glass from about 2 inches above the substrate and she has a great grip :) , right now she actually has 1 toe on the dirt while the rest of her is still up on the glass , I would say she has about 3 -3 1/2 times her leg span to climb ,been debating on turning the aquarium sideways to give her more area above ground as that is what ive read all over that they like that ,but if I do I that im gonna put a few more plants lining some sides
Ah, ignore what I said. I completely missed the fact that you had an Avic lol....for some reason I was thinking you were talking about a rosie as well. Yeah definitely give her more height! I have an A.avic, and have her in an exo terra nano cube, which gives her a lot of climbing space. She also has a big piece of wood and some silk plants to climb on, she uses the wood piece sometimes, though she really loves to hang out on the glass :D

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
lol :) , these avics are a wonder spider looking on getting another one soon, and a few minatrix if I can find them in my area best part is my GF likes them as well :) , and she will on occasion hold them with me but doesn't care much for the crunch of them eating :) , this next weeking im building a cricket breeding box so the heat is easier to obtain so I can breed those and once I have a successful colony going I wanna try breeding a few T's also the metallica and if I can find them minatrix, and ill have the 2 Chinese water dragons to snack off the crickets as well :) , plus if the colony goes well enough I already have permission to get a beardie as well maybe 2 :)

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Minatrix are gorgeous! So far have not seen any Avics besides A.avic locally. Looking foward to the reptile show in March...hopefully will find some of the T's on my wishlist there (<3 avics).

Ooh the cricket crunch is one of my favorite things in the world! My avic is pretty shy with eating, she never takes them right away, so I always miss her pouncing on them...she's bratty like that! Good luck with the cricket colony...I tried breeding/keeping them back when I kept numerous geckos, but I just abhor them! They stink too lol. For now I'm just buying a few at a time, in just the right amount I need to feed my T's.

I love beardies and water dragons! I really miss having reptiles actually :( We're not allowed exotics in the place I live in, and they are much harder to keep hidden than T's are hehe

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
Cricket crunches are so awesome sounding I don't think ill ever get enough of it :), there is another metallica not to far away from where im at but gotta get another cage going before I can get her she is a gorgeous almost jet black with silver metallics about the same size as mine now, might see if they go well in the same cage eventually idk for sure about it (read they "can" be communal), need a bigger tank though first so they have their space.

One of the pet stores here told me they could special order a T at no extra cost aside from the T itself so I might see about a male metallica and try breeding them as they are rough to get ahold of out here and I could make a few bucks off them at the pet stores cause I cant keep that many babies :(

If I end up sucking at crickets ill prolly do worms GF says I cant do Dubia's the idea makes her cringe LOL

JMXWLS

3 Year Member
Here she is eating still, its almost 4pm and i fed her roughly about 10am , though looks like she is about through

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1356993746779.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1356993746779.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 14

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I never get tired of cricket carnage (or worm carnage for that matter), was one of my favorite parts of keeping geckos :) I have read of people keeping avics communally, but yeah they do need quite a bit of space so they can have their own territory.

That's pretty awesome that they will do that! I'm going to see about that, once I get to know the owner better at the shop I go to currently. He gave me a pretty good deal on the Rosie and the OBT we just got, so I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with it. Waiting until after the reptile expo though, since I'm positive it will be the cheaper route to go.

Meal worms are super easy to breed and definitely less smelly. I raised a few generations of mealies (definitely my favorite of all feeders), until we switched to supers. Couldn't bring myself to raise those lol. I'm with your GF on roaches too, yuck! It's kind of funny; I have no issues with sticking my hands in with giant spiders and keeping them as pets; but the thought of crickets, super worms and roaches jeeb me out LOL.

Latest posts