• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Spider dying or moulting?

PoloLonit

Hi! I'm a new tarantula keeper, and I'm not sure what I'm seeing right now so hope someone can help. My G. pulchra juvenile (about 1") has been acting totally normal since I got it about three months ago; it's eaten a few times and burrowed a bit and generally seems to be doing well.

However, it's refused the last 2 feeds (about 4-5 days apart) and I assumed it was potentially going to moult, only this morning it's sitting in the middle of the enclosure with a couple of legs on one side in the air, not moving. When I opened the enclosure it did move slightly so not dead! It has plenty of bark to burrow under, is it possible it's moulting right out in the open or could it be dying already? If so, anything I can do? Other than the legs in the air, nothing else seems out of place.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi! I'm a new tarantula keeper, and I'm not sure what I'm seeing right now so hope someone can help. My G. pulchra juvenile (about 1") has been acting totally normal since I got it about three months ago; it's eaten a few times and burrowed a bit and generally seems to be doing well.

However, it's refused the last 2 feeds (about 4-5 days apart) and I assumed it was potentially going to moult, only this morning it's sitting in the middle of the enclosure with a couple of legs on one side in the air, not moving. When I opened the enclosure it did move slightly so not dead! It has plenty of bark to burrow under, is it possible it's moulting right out in the open or could it be dying already? If so, anything I can do? Other than the legs in the air, nothing else seems out of place.
Good morning,
As long as there is a water dish in the enclosure please leave the sling alone, especially if it is molting it should absolutely not be disturbed. Keep in mind as well than when asking for help/questions about your T it is extremely hard for people on the forum to help without being able to see the T and it's enclosure. Please provide pictures when you'll get a chance as long as it won't disturb your T.

PoloLonit

Good morning,
As long as there is a water dish in the enclosure please leave the sling alone, especially if it is molting it should absolutely not be disturbed. Keep in mind as well than when asking for help/questions about your T it is extremely hard for people on the forum to help without being able to see the T and it's enclosure. Please provide pictures when you'll get a chance as long as it won't disturb your T.
Thank you, I will try to get pics but my camera is terrible.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It's okay, spider moulted while I was busy so all is well, just first-time tarantula owner panic!
We all went through this, nothing to worry about my friend. Glad the molt went well.
At 1 inch your G. pulchra is more a sling than a juvenile, please give him at least a good full week (it could also need a few more days) before offering food again as its exoskeleton and chelicera need a little time to harden.
Have a great day.