• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sperm Web Debris? Pedipalps, Charged?

Hagraven

Hi!
I set my mature chilobrachys huahini male up in his new enclosure yesterday, and when I had come back from work today I noticed plenty of webbing around the little guy. My initial thought is that this is NOT a sperm web, that a single day after being hurled through the mail would not be enough time for him to get comfortable in his new home enough to lay out a sperm web, right?

20221013_131013.jpg

Also, the previous owner had offered that he had matured a "few" months ago but that he was still regularly webbing and eating (he ate a cricket today). I'd hate to see him pass without getting a chance to meet my mature female, and I wanted to ask-

If I don't see him making a sperm web, what are the chances that his pedipalps are still "charged" from earlier sperm webs? I tried finding an answer on this and other forums, but no luck.

And another thing (thank you for reading, I know its alot lol) I have his enclosure beside my female's, and I introduced some of her webbing into his enclosure today.
Any tips on getting these two to better catch wind of one another before a pairing?
20221012_181618.jpg

(Pill bottle now removed)

Thanks for your help!

I have not yet attempted to pair C.huahini yet. I hope you update this thread about your outcome.
I do my best to try and see them making a sperm web or loading up. More than a dozen times I've watched chili's and haplopelmas tear their webbing down after loading up. I do know they can store it,for how long I have no real idea.

As far as getting them fired up. What you got them doing now is about the best way to get that male going. Long as it's a calm area.
This is just some things I've been thinking about before my attempt at pairing them.
You probably know yourself already. I'm almost willing to be they act they same as all mine does. At least as full adults.

I can put fifty different hides in there. None at all ever use it. Since hitting adults. "All I have at this moment is females" no burrowing. They pick a corner and web up and that's it. And it's been kinda a challenge to do regular cleaning and watering without one of em dropping those dentures down and flying across the enclosure.
Every other genius of chilobrachy I keep has a hide and at least a decent depth burrow and unless you start doing something silly like tickling the webbing they never come out when I'm doing anything in their enclosure.

I hope I'm wrong but I got a feeling if the female isn't showing a response to the male before he gets dropped in they will be toast. They chilobrachy in general are hard on males.
I'd make sure he has a path out in case he gets nervous right off she's probably going to be right behind him.
To be honest to date your the only person I've conversed with about breeding these so I'm kinda excited to see how it goes for you.

Hagraven

I have not yet attempted to pair C.huahini yet. I hope you update this thread about your outcome.
I do my best to try and see them making a sperm web or loading up. More than a dozen times I've watched chili's and haplopelmas tear their webbing down after loading up. I do know they can store it,for how long I have no real idea.

As far as getting them fired up. What you got them doing now is about the best way to get that male going. Long as it's a calm area.
This is just some things I've been thinking about before my attempt at pairing them.
You probably know yourself already. I'm almost willing to be they act they same as all mine does. At least as full adults.

I can put fifty different hides in there. None at all ever use it. Since hitting adults. "All I have at this moment is females" no burrowing. They pick a corner and web up and that's it. And it's been kinda a challenge to do regular cleaning and watering without one of em dropping those dentures down and flying across the enclosure.
Every other genius of chilobrachy I keep has a hide and at least a decent depth burrow and unless you start doing something silly like tickling the webbing they never come out when I'm doing anything in their enclosure.

I hope I'm wrong but I got a feeling if the female isn't showing a response to the male before he gets dropped in they will be toast. They chilobrachy in general are hard on males.
I'd make sure he has a path out in case he gets nervous right off she's probably going to be right behind him.
To be honest to date your the only person I've conversed with about breeding these so I'm kinda excited to see how it goes for you.

Hagraven

^ Sorry about the repost without a response- I swear I know how to work the internet!

I appreciate your reply. I am very excited about my male and female meeting, and figure I am just being impatient. Honestly you have to give the the little guy credit for being as relaxed as he has been- it's not even been a week since he came to me through post. He has eaten twice now without issue and the debris in his water dish tells me he's drinking when I'm not around. Also, the other day I caught him in what I'd consider a more relaxed posture, away from his usual spot.

20221015_213827.jpg

And it could be coincidence, or my projection, but I swear my female, inches away through their enclosures, had been watching or sensing him the other day. So I'm mostly at ease and think it's a matter of time and patience before I see him showing interest.
The "Dark Den" youtube channel has a GREAT pairing video of this species, definitely worth checking out. Will keep you updated, thanks again!

Hagraven

So, this morning I watch little Dinin create a web against the side of his enclosure, and unlike some of his other, more wispy webs, this seemed more developed, thicker. I had to leave home for a few hours but when I came back the web was destroyed and he was grooming himself. It's hard to spot in the lighting of the image, but the mat under him had been disturbed so that it appeared as if it has been peeled or rolled back. My gut tells me this is indeed his sperm web- which he made a week and a few days after getting set up in his new home. I plan on feeding my big girl today and then tomorrow its date night! : )

20221022_122944.jpg

Attachments

• 20221022_122914.mp4
    16.7 MB

New2T’s

3 Year Member
So, this morning I watch little Dinin create a web against the side of his enclosure, and unlike some of his other, more wispy webs, this seemed more developed, thicker. I had to leave home for a few hours but when I came back the web was destroyed and he was grooming himself. It's hard to spot in the lighting of the image, but the mat under him had been disturbed so that it appeared as if it has been peeled or rolled back. My gut tells me this is indeed his sperm web- which he made a week and a few days after getting set up in his new home. I plan on feeding my big girl today and then tomorrow its date night! : )

View attachment 68719
Sounds like could be a sperm web. They are usually somewhat triangular shape

Hagraven

^ I appreciate you nice people!

2nd Pairing Attempt: Wild!

Dinin was not thrilled with my suggestion for him to say "Hello," and ended up racing around the cardboard I set up (and to the room beyond!) Eventually I encouraged him to set foot down in Lolth's enclosure- which he did briefly before teleporting away again...until at last he found his way before her, but so quickly I figured she would see him as prey. He managed to find himself under her, and after a moment started drumming! I could not believe she had not struck him.

20221027_175357.jpg

20221027_184927.jpg

After she let him out from under her they began their back and forth with one another for, maybe 45 mintues? I am so happy. I can't be sure he was successful but it was wild to see. At a certain point he suddenly became terrified and fled and is now safe and resting. Fingers crossed but I plan to try again next week or so : )

20221027_185826.jpg
20221027_185444.jpg

20221027_192915.jpg

Attachments

• 20221027_185204.mp4
    73 MB
  • 20221027_185746.mp4
    81.1 MB

Hagraven

Also, as far as her temperament- she initially was slow and seemed curious. He had run away to her cave-like hide and she simply waited outside it for a few minutes, before losing interest. By the end I had thought she seemed more and more annoyed by him. So cool to watch her drumming ♡

20221027_180704.jpg

Hagraven

I am very happy! Though I'm not entirely sure little Dinin was successful, I have my fingers crossed. Poor guy, he doesn't seem too comfortable about it. Though it's not very clear in the photo, he set up webbing at the entrance to his hide and hasn't left it since the pairing- two days now. The night of, I spotted him on edge and offering what I can only see as a lazy threat posture, even after he was safe and I had left him alone. I hope he's okay! I have begun to admire him more and more.

20221029_071621.jpg

20221027_225232.jpg

Latest posts