• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Soo.. I just got my first smithi

Toddydog

3 Year Member
This is my first experience with a tarantula so I'm looking for general advice. I've done research before hand so I do know a lot about their care but theres always things that come from experience so I would like to know any tips you may find useful.

He came today and he is a lot smaller than I thought he'd be so the terriaim is way too big for him unfortunately. It also looks like there was a molt in the container he came in so I was wondering if there is a way you can tell how post molt they are. I know you shouldn't feed them after they molt.

Other than that he came out of his original container nicely, he's a little skittish but he's under his little log and it looks like he's settling in.
20171229_103028.jpg

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congrats on the arrival of your first T and a good choice.:)
The best guide as to whether to feed or not are the fangs, once they turn black they had hardened enough to feed, if still in doubt give them a week.

Toddydog

3 Year Member
Congrats on the arrival of your first T and a good choice.:)
The best guide as to whether to feed or not are the fangs, once they turn black they had hardened enough to feed, if still in doubt give them a week.

Alight, thank you! Looks like he may have molted reciently but it's hard to tell because he's so small. I was going to let him settle in for a few days anyways.

Latest posts