• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Something wrong with my B.Smithi?

leaveittoweaver

3 Year Member
My B.Smithi has developed this bald spot with this weird almost fungus looking thing on it's abdomen. I keep the enclosure very dry, she is also not a hair kicker.

Any thoughts?

20160911_190129.jpg

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
It seems to me that it's only the "fluffy" border of the hair kicking zone: when the hairs are almost detached but not entierly...

My smithi, boehmei and klaasi do that even if they don't kick hair usually. Kind of a pre- premolt thing (!).

It's maybe related to some stress due to the fact they happen to be wandering restless a little bit in their enclosure for a specific period of time (don't know why)...

Envoyé de mon iPhone à l'aide de Tapatalk

Johnnyp1987

3 Year Member
My juvi b.smithi is the same, not a big kicker but in premolt she will lay web down in her enclosure and kick hairs on it. Its a defence mechanism to warn off predators when they are molting. Also the fluffy bits are what nicolas said, just loose hairs that havent come off properly yet. I wouldnt worry.

Latest posts