• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some Tarantula Fun

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Last summer, I chose to show my tarantula at the fair. I was in a 4-H club for it. I had to take her to the meeting place before fair to get a health checkup so she was allowed on the fairgrounds. Eventually the people from the vet came and were checking animals. Then, my siblings (they helped me bring her) heard them whispering "how do you do a checkup on a tarantula?". Then the he came over, lifted up her cage, looked inside, said "well, it's alive. Must be healthy," and signed the paper.

Then at the fair one of the people in the 4-H club (she was actually the mother of three members) came over while I was (the cat show came before the pocket pets show in the same place, and the judges were preparing for it) waiting. She said she was with the judges for a bit and one of them said "oh no I'm going to have to judge a tarantula!" She said that she was snickering because she knew the owner. When I got done showing a bunch of people came over to take a picture (some said they were afraid of spiders). In the end I got reserve champion and two people ribbons. I lost to a hedgehog named sonic.

Sonicookie

3 Year Member
Great tale but I'd love to know what the judge said to you :)

I don't remember exactly what she said, but I think she's the one who shuddered and said the tarantula was gross. She still thought it was cool, though.

For those concerned about her (the tarantula) her water dish was not filled during the time of carrying, and there was a pillowcase over her cage at all times unless showing her off, and I hardly handled her (only to remove her from her hide so the judge could know she existed).

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't remember exactly what she said, but I think she's the one who shuddered and said the tarantula was gross. She still thought it was cool, though.

For those concerned about her (the tarantula) her water dish was not filled during the time of carrying, and there was a pillowcase over her cage at all times unless showing her off, and I hardly handled her (only to remove her from her hide so the judge could know she existed).
What species? The tarantula not the judge as assume she was human.....☺

Latest posts