• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Some questions...

Sabeth

3 Year Member
I'm wondering about the growth rate of these three Ts:

Pterinochilus murinus
Acanthoscurria geniculata
Lasiodora parahybana

Also, how handleable is Avicularia versicolor? I know handling is a touchy topic, but I'm returning my defensive P. parvula, and am now in the market for something that I can handle as I do my B. smithi. I've been curious about arboreals and love the coloring of A. versicolor but am not sure whether handling is easy; I've read they can be skittish and speedy. I'd be getting a sling under 1", would this make handling easier?

If you'd like to suggest another species for its docility and ease of handling please feel free! It doesn't have to be arboreal, either. Any info on individual species is greatly appreciated.

One last question...of the more aggressive Ts (i.e., medically significant bite and all that), which would you recommend for a beginner? I've been considering an OBT; is this a good first choice?

Cobalt

3 Year Member
All three are fast growers and will probably mature in 1 year +.

I would not handle an A. versi and if you handled a versi sling you'd probably never see it again :p

G. pulchripes (f. G. aureostriata) would be one of the top "handlable T's" in my opinion - I normally don't handle T's (or recommend it for that matter) but my Chaco is just so sweet and gentle that i can't stay away...it's the only T i consider my "friend".

I find OBT's to be great (BEGINNER) T's (not first T)...if people use common sense this is a good choice IMO.

http://tarantulakeeper.blogspot.no/2008/12/top-10-beginners-tarantulas.html - i don't know if you checked this out the last time i linked you, if you didnt ,you should check it out.

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Wow, Cobalt...what an awesome page that is! Is it your own website? Thanks so much...I think P. murinus is a definite. :) The docile T will require a little more thought on my part, though. Maybe L. parahybana. Thanks again!

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Depends on the temperament of the T itself really. Anything can be handled, it's just a question of whether you have enough courage to do try it. Most Versis are relatively docile, however there are some mean ones out of the bunch.

I have handled my versi slings, mainly because they run out of the container every time I open them for maintenance. I hate top opening cages for Arboreals. They aren't overly quick most of the time, they are relatively easy to deal with when they do scatter though.

LP's aren't quick to bite, they would rather kick hairs and run, however if you do get bit by an LP it's not the venom that's going to hurt it's the huge ass fangs they have. My LP just molted the other night and I was watching him groom. His fangs are about an inch long, no joke. Not something I want in my flesh personally.

OBT, well... That's just an accident waiting to happen. They are not great beginner species. Not because of their venom, but because of their speed. It only takes a split second of opening the container for it to run out and for you to lose it. I don't know if you live at home or not, but it's not something you want your mom to find in her hair. LOL

There isn't really any T's I'd suggest handing, mainly because I don't handle. But all the avic's I've owned have all been relatively docile. They are really jumpy though. I tong feed them, so whenever they are touched with a blunt object they usually attack it thinking it's food. However when prodded with a paint brush they usually move slowly away from it. So always test temperament before handling.

Hope this helps!

Cobalt

3 Year Member
It depends on what you consider a "beginner" as, Kurt. I did not say that obt was a great first choice but you don't need a PhD to safely keep an OW terrestial. Common sense and a basic knownledge of T's is what you need which is not hard at all to obtain. Potency, speed and defensivness aside, OBT tops the chart on best beginner Ts. It's up to the individual to decide wether they want a fast T or not and then they know what they are getting into. I wanted an OBT so bad when i was looking for my fourth T but everyone said they were not good beginner species. Now that i got obts i regret not getting one when i first wanted it. I dont want the same thing happening to Sabeth. If you want an OBT then get one.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Wow, Cobalt...what an awesome page that is! Is it your own website? Thanks so much...I think P. murinus is a definite. :) The docile T will require a little more thought on my part, though. Maybe L. parahybana. Thanks again!

L.parahybana are far from a handling species...
I'd honestly say avoid P.murinus, until you get over the need to interact with your Ts... Not trying to be rude, but being lax at all around P.murinus can be the difference in a trip to the hospital, as their bite is one of the worst.. I'm usually all for people getting into OW, but based on you looking for "docile" Ts, id say avoid them for the time being..
A good "handling" T would be a B.albopilosum, i've yet to see a pissy one. A.versicolor... They're not to be handled, of the 3 adult females ive owned in my years of keeping, they tend to be a little more "bitey" than other Avics, and are way to skittish, the risk of hurting the T is just to great to make it worth risking.

With that being said, it really falls on you as the keeper, to decide whats right for you.. IF you have gathered all the information you can, without owning the species, go for it. :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Don't worry...I have no intention of trying to handle P. murinus! I'd sooner handle a venomous snake. I've been considering B. albopilosum, as well as G. pulchripes. Thanks for your help. :)

Sabeth

3 Year Member
Well, I have been looking around and have decided I may have to be satisfied with only my angelic B. smithi for handling, since the Ts I am most interested in are A. versicolor and A. geniculata...neither of which seem to be ideal handling species! I'm also interested in G. pulchripes, but I don't want to get more than two at a time!

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
It depends on what you consider a "beginner" as, Kurt. I did not say that obt was a great first choice but you don't need a PhD to safely keep an OW terrestial. Common sense and a basic knownledge of T's is what you need which is not hard at all to obtain. Potency, speed and defensivness aside, OBT tops the chart on best beginner Ts. It's up to the individual to decide wether they want a fast T or not and then they know what they are getting into. I wanted an OBT so bad when i was looking for my fourth T but everyone said they were not good beginner species. Now that i got obts i regret not getting one when i first wanted it. I dont want the same thing happening to Sabeth. If you want an OBT then get one.

I totally disagree. I think it's far from a beginner T. I think the combination of all it's strengths is just trouble. Just because you could handle it, doesn't mean someone else can. Who's to say yours wasn't an angel and someone elses is a giant pain in the rump. Someone could have a totally different experience than you. If they have their mind set on an OBT they are going to get one whether someone says do it or don't do it. But in my opinion, it's far from a beginner T.

Cobalt

3 Year Member
I totally disagree. I think it's far from a beginner T. I think the combination of all it's strengths is just trouble. Just because you could handle it, doesn't mean someone else can. Who's to say yours wasn't an angel and someone elses is a giant pain in the rump. Someone could have a totally different experience than you. If they have their mind set on an OBT they are going to get one whether someone says do it or don't do it. But in my opinion, it's far from a beginner T.

Whats your definition of a beginner? The amount of T's a person has? Would you get yourself an OBT?

Kurt Nelson

3 Year Member
Experience plays a huge roll in aggressive, fast, and potent tarantulas. My definition of a beginner T would be something relatively slow, docile, possibly skittish, and low in venom potency. None of those characteristics fit an OBT. At this juncture in the hobby, yes, I think I have the ability and the knowledge to own an OBT.

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm going to throw in my opinion on the OBT. We got an obt & a rosie at the same time, before that all we had was our A.avic. The OBT *is* fast, but I found once it had a nice little spot to hide, there was no more 'making a break' for freedom at all. It is super easy to keep, very pretty & a great webber/eater. I think as long as you give this species the proper respect and a proper enclosure (small deli cups with no hiding spot are NOT a good idea, in my experience), there is no reason why anyone couldn't keep this spider. That said, I don't think handling this spider is ever a good idea, experienced or not. So if that's not part of the plan, I think they make a great starter spider.

Latest posts