• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

some new pics

Atx13

3 Year Member
So I picked up a G. Rosea from the local pet shop today, and after getting her home, about an hour or so later, i dropped a super worm in with her and with my A. Avic, they both decided to eat! Its the first time I've gotten my A. Avic to eat... Pretty good day all around :)
WP_000215.jpg
WP_000213.jpg
WP_000212.jpg
WP_000211.jpg
WP_000210.jpg

Atx13

3 Year Member
the base is a mix of organic(no fertilizers or chemicals)potting soil/peat/vermiculite, i throw a lite layer of the reptile bark for show, i like how it looks. They don't sale eco earth around me, I have to drive about an hour to get a 12.00 dollar bag of eco earth over the (around) 8 bucks I spend on the mix I get from the flower shop( its also sterilized).
When I go to the reptile show this weekend, I'll pick a bag up tho and give it a try..
I haven't had any problems with the substrate mix I use, I used a similar mix in the past... Is eco earth really that much better? I'm by no means an expert and take all advice to keep my Tarantulas happy and healthy.
Thanks in advance for the advice :).

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Repti-Bark, is about the worst Sub you can have for a T ( aside from cedar). I strongly suggest removing it. The soil/peat/vermiculite is fine.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Fair enough. was only cosmetic anyways, not really serving a purpose, lol.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Thanks! not usually a fan of G. Rosea's, but this little one is full of character. My A. Avic is finally coming around, thinking she might be a he tho....

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Your new Rosie is gorgeous! Love the pic of your Avic eating the worm; nom nom lol.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Your A. avic is definitely a mature male so don't be too worried about him not eating often.

Lol, my girlfriend has kinda of adopted the A. Avic as her own, of course thats from a distance or when im interacting with him. So shes a little bummed that its a male. I knew I messed up on sexing him a few days after bringing him home. but its cool, maybe I can find him a nice lady. lol

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Lol, my girlfriend has kinda of adopted the A. Avic as her own, of course thats from a distance or when im interacting with him. So shes a little bummed that its a male. I knew I messed up on sexing him a few days after bringing him home. but its cool, maybe I can find him a nice lady. lol
A.avics are definitely lady-charmers ;) Good luck on finding him a date! :)

Latest posts