• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Solemn memory on a wonderful day

N8tive556

3 Year Member
Today has been beautiful! I am happy to report that Invertebrates Unlimited (see post in vendor reviews) has done it again! Monday was sent a message that weather permitting my New addition will be sent out Tuesday arriving next day by 10 a.m and this morning I woke up talking with the roommate when I went outside and seen a box! (No body knocked...) Hooray! Amongst the VERY WELL packed and warm box was a slightly larger cup than the small vial I am used to receiving from them, inside that one a small sized cup and inside peeked out the beautiful red orange striping of my new P. Irminia! She is a gift from my girlfriend, for St. Valentine's Day. Stay tuned for pictures! Some of you may remember I picked one up from the last reptile show that came to town however I'm sad to report that it was my error that cost it it's life... Usually a great eater it failed to eat one day and I think what must have happened was that it was due to being in premolt and it's prey stressed it to death. Never again will I make this mistake. So while I can never replace the one I lost, I CAN ensure that I am resolved to be more diligent and more attentive than I have been previously.

Before I am hit with a wave of, poor and or negative natured replies. Let 2 things be known:

1.) I Do consider myself still, to be a new keeper, or novice at best, I am still learning.

2.) The reason I have posted this is because I believe tha I am not afraid of taking ownership of my mistakes, or admitting when I'm wrong.
Thanks everyone!
Happy T'ing!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Congratulations on your new P. irminia; what a fantastic Valentine's day present! You've definitely got yourself a winner with that woman. :)

Having had many instances where I've dropped a cricket in with a T that was in pre-molt (and even a close call where the cricket was left in there while the spider was actually molting), I'd be really surprised if your last P. irminia died due to stress from the prey item. Usually if they're not interested in eating, they'll avoid the crickets or bat them away when they get to close. Where prey items DO pose a threat to tarantulas is if they are left in the cages during the actual molt when the spiders are very vulnerable. In those instances, crickets have been known to feed on the helpless Ts. Not knowing the situation completely, I would couldn't say if your husbandry lead to its death or if it was just a weak specimen that died from natural causes. That said, I do think you can rule out the cricket stressing it to death. :)

I would just hate to have you freak out the next time it comes time for your new one to molt thinking the prey can kill it by stressing it!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I agree with Tom N8tive, most likely it wasn't the prey stressing it out that killed it. Most spiders will kill it and drop it if it bothers them that much, or just web themselves away in a hole. And I'm hoping this forum hasn't devolved into the kind of place where you can't speak freely without negative spam :) Glad to see you sticking with it buddy! Slings die sometimes, its another good reason to buy 4 at a time..:)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed with the Tom and Mass. From the posts I've read from you i doubt it was your keeping or the cricket that killed the T. Good luck and congrats on the new addition and being one of the few lucky ones with a great girl to support you and the hobby :)

N8tive556

3 Year Member
:):)Ain't got to ask me for pictures twice of my beloved little collection!
20160217_102253.jpg
:):)

Latest posts