• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So I'm over a month into the hobby...

Dw07u

Good day everyone!

First of all, thank you for your awesome support thus far!

So on August the 8th I got my first sling, a Nhandu Tripepii, or Brazillian Giant Blonde.

At first, I was worried about the care and enclosure I was providing, worried about the humidity and temperature. After some posts, some well-known members put my worries at ease with their calm and collected advice and assurance based on the info I was providing.

Knowing from some research I have done that these species tend to burrow, especially while slings, I got ready for the fact that I won't be seeing much of this little one.

I was keeping it in a 7x7x7 cm top ventilated glass enclosure at first, but we had some ant trouble, twice I caught them in the enclosure and managed to remove the sling and completely redo the enclosure, eventually, after the third time I noticed the ants were getting in, despite our attempts at ridding the house of ants I decided to move it to an even larger enclosure I usually use for much smaller spider specimens, the large side ventilation has a very fine mesh and is the only way in and out of the enclosure, it's too fine for ants to enter. I also placed the enclosure in a much darker spot on a shelf above our bed where the ants have never gotten to. So far it's been about 4 weeks and no ant problems. It also managed to molt in between ant invasions thankfully.

Earlier this week I was getting worried as I have not seen the sling for a good while and I could not see a burrow hole, so I gently disturbed the surface of the substrate and it bolted into the plastic plant I have in there. I was relieved to see it and it looked like the T was in good shape. I fed it two Crickets today and it's already grabbed one.

BONUS: the T has burrowed close to the glass so I can now see it just by lifting the enclosure a bit.

I mist the enclosure now and again as well as keep the small water dish topped up. So far we have had some really cold days and I'm glad to see it is coping. It's also pretty high up in the room so the warmer air would surround it.

As time goes by and I see it is doing well, I get more and more at ease. We are moving house this weekend and I would appreciate any travel tips, a relatively short trip.

Thank you again for your help and advice!

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Welcome! Sounds like you are doing great! I like to think of a first time responsible tarantula keeper like a first time parent: should I take her to the store? What if she catches cold? I got my giant stroller, a baby bumble, diapers, 3 bottles, baby wipes, her favorite blanket...oh yeah, its OK if ot takes me 3 hours to pack all those things in the car. I have a change of clothes, 30 spit up towels, etc.

As you get more experienced, you will get quite comfortable. Neurotics make good parents and T keepers.

PS you can just move your tripepi sling in its current enclosure. ;)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's really nice to read your post - I can tell how much you care about your T :)
It sounds like it's doing well and you are taking very good care of it.. Like @WolfSpider has said it will be fine to move your T in its current enclosure.. If there's anything that may fall over in there (bark ect) remove it just incase but otherwise it will be fine :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
About two weeks ago I brought a Grammostola rosea home & a few evenings ago I brought a B hamorii home that I have just brought from the same person. As suggested above, when transporting a T in the car, I empty water bowls & remove anything likely to fall over & just try to drive carefully. Try to stabilise the enclosure & stop it sliding around. I use coats, old quilts etc.

When I got the hamorii home it was so stressed, it was sitting on it's bark, cigarette in one leg, can of larger in the other & still reading it's copy of cricket weekly. Honestly it was not stressed at all, the journey had been around 30 minutes only, but it was honestly clearly totally unfazed by the trip & just sitting very happily on it's bark.

I think the furthest I have travelled with a T in the car, is around 2.5 to 3 hours & all have been fine.