• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So, I rescued a wolf spider..

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
My boyfriend and I were enjoying a midnight dinner of frozen pizza after hours of working on a Golf GTI. He gets up for another piece, and then demands that I go into the kitchen. He's holding one of our cats and motioning to something on the floor. There is a rather large wolf spider trying to hide beside a plastic bag. Apparently our cat wanted a taste test, which is no surprise, he has pica and tries to eat everything. Seriously, everything. So I grab a plastic deli cup and my boyfriend ushers it in. The poor things front legs weren't working properly, but it still got around well enough. Feeling guilty for my cat's decisions, I prepared a small critter keeper for this little wolf spider. Well, not so little, probably 1 1/2 - 1 3/4 inch DLS. I put this poor little spider into a keeper with soil from outside, a tiny condiment cup hide I used for my G. Rosea before she grew out of it, and a bottle cap of water.

This thing is freaking intelligent. After putting it in the keeper, I used feeding tongs to put the water cap in. It immediately went over to the water for a drink. Then proceeded to seek refuge in the hide. Wow, my tarantulas aren't even that quick to figure things out. My boyfriend has named him Monroe. After Monroe has a molt or 2, and seems to have full leg function, I'll be releasing him. Well, unless it's snowing by the time that happens, then I suppose I'd have to wait until spring.

I wanted to share our interesting evening. Thanks for reading!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hope it does well for you. :) wolf spiders are interesting and we usually end up wintering one or two. Pictures maybe?

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That's too sweet. I wish everyone in the world had your thought process and tender heart. Most people probably would've "squished" it or let their cat finish it off....I'm glad the little Wolfy is in good hands! It takes a big heart to care for something that most people fear. Kudos! :)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Little Monroe seems to be doing alright. He's camped out by his water cap. He drank almost all of it overnight! Poor dude was thirsty.

I managed to get some photos, but they don't really show his size. I wish he would have stretched his legs a bit, he's beautiful!

36f370b410218dfca2df87b7a5a7aecf.jpg

c139730e4be97f436c7246f9db1873b7.jpg

Looking at that face!
8a97508bfe4dddced10e61210fd91427.jpg

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Offered him a mealworm, since it was slow moving, but he wasn't interested. I figure he's probably still adjusting.

ae5691a865516f50daad585cf8affa03.jpg

Nicolas C

3 Year Member
He seems to be a mature male, not sure he'll live very long? He was probably wandering to catch one more lady before his dawning age. Anyway you did well rescuing him of course, he'll enjoy the comfort of a safe and cozy enclosure. Thumbs up to you!!!

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
He seems to be doing well. He's using his front legs, and moving around a bit more. Should I go ahead and release this guy now that he's back up to 100%? Maybe he'll find himself a nice girlfriend.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Might give him a chance to make more little spiders, I would turn him loose long as he's moving OK.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
I'll let him go when I get home then. I want to give him a good life, and now that he seems to have regained function of his legs, I think he'll be just fine. I hope he finds himself a nice lady friend. He's been a good little spider.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
Monroe has been released. My boyfriend was sad to see him go, but I told him Monroe would never find his true love in captivity. The hamburg reptile show is coming up this weekend, so he can fill the void with a tarantula :)

Pre-release photos!
53b2eca1e29f1d8870bb5d034d7bc682.jpg

523a3eb224ef3424eacad01f534e6cee.jpg

Goodbye cute little dude! Live long and prosper!
d31dfd7e75d784ac9c181dc67c491478.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good for you hun! With luck he'll find a couple receptive ladies and make lots more!
Always hard to let them go. They are awesome arachnids.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We had a wolf spider as a guest on my son's balcony this summer. I'm wanting to catch one now and raise it ;)

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
They are pretty neat little spiders. I enjoyed our little Monroe while he was with us. I never got him to take food while in my care, but then again, I only had him a few days before he was fully mobile again.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
We've had a jumping spider in our care for months now. It laid an egg sack but nothing ever hatched from it. It's still happily munching on pin head lateralis roaches on feeding days. Fun little spiders.

I want to raise a wolf spider, they're more ferocious feeding than some of my Ts ;)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just had a huge one run across my sons foot lol he screamed at me to come get it because he swore one of my tarantulas had got out. I'd have nabbed it for you but I'm certain it was a male.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
most have gone into hiding for the winter around here. I've seen some jumping spider slings out and about still but no wolf spiders.

Eavlynn

3 Year Member
It's starting to get chilly, so I suppose that's to be expected. I haven't seen any 8 legged critters running around for a while.

Latest posts