• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So I have started doing research on adult enclosures, Forever homes.....

ryanm7277

What do you guys think is a good size for terestrial is? I am think about getting the herp cult large flats for Curly hair, and the rest of my brood. 12"x8"x6" is that the ideal size? Xlarge which is 12”(L) x 16”(W) x 6”(H) seems kinda big no? I would basically be housing, Curly Hair, Brachypelma Klassi and Boehmei(at some point) and Hammorii, Thrixopelma Longicolli and sp Cajamarca, Grammostola Anthracina and pulchripes and pulchra and rosea. I think the A Seemani is the only burrower in my collection at the moment so I think they would get Xlarge 12”(L) x 16”(W) x 10”(H) and fill it up so they can burrow? I am also looking into other options anyone have suggestions as well as pics of their enclosures/setups for their full grown adults? My 2 A. A Seemani are probably the biggest but none are full grown yet. Reptizoo has 12''x8''x6'' acrylic enclosures, which sounds good size wise? I know people say 3 times the size of the spider but when I go on Tarantula Cribs they don't have anything that is 18"?

Please don't be bothered if you feel my question repititious and please I am just looking to see what everyone else has done and found to be feasible housing option? I am also currious what to do with my 2 Avicularia?

Thanks so much for helping my figure this stuff out. I got my substrate sorted. Although I feel that moss is the antichrist, I would love some leaf litter suggestions as well. Thanks.

SullivanC

Large critter keeper cages are perfect for adult terrestrials and if you manage to keep the substrate moist enough they are even good for fossorials but 1 disadvantage critter keeper cages have is the fact that they have so much ventilation that it dries out the substrate really quickly so be prepared for having to soak the substrate often because it will dry out really quick :) as for the arboreal you also have options you can either go for exoterra 8x8x12" for species like avicularia adults or 12x12x18 for species like poecilotheria rufilata or any other poecilotheria species that grow pretty big. Great news is there are alternatives so you can give them enclosure that are cheaper :)

SullivanC

If critter keeper cages are too expensive you can also choose storage containers that have similar size to large, medium or small critter keeper cages. Only difference obviously is you have to make ventilation holes if you choose storage containers but if you choose critter keeper cages they already come with more than enough ventilation holes :) Tarantula cribs have good enclosures they can be pricey for some people but they look really good.

Tarino Palma

What do you guys think is a good size for terestrial is? I am think about getting the herp cult large flats for Curly hair, and the rest of my brood. 12"x8"x6" is that the ideal size? Xlarge which is 12”(L) x 16”(W) x 6”(H) seems kinda big no? I would basically be housing, Curly Hair, Brachypelma Klassi and Boehmei(at some point) and Hammorii, Thrixopelma Longicolli and sp Cajamarca, Grammostola Anthracina and pulchripes and pulchra and rosea. I think the A Seemani is the only burrower in my collection at the moment so I think they would get Xlarge 12”(L) x 16”(W) x 10”(H) and fill it up so they can burrow? I am also looking into other options anyone have suggestions as well as pics of their enclosures/setups for their full grown adults? My 2 A. A Seemani are probably the biggest but none are full grown yet. Reptizoo has 12''x8''x6'' acrylic enclosures, which sounds good size wise? I know people say 3 times the size of the spider but when I go on Tarantula Cribs they don't have anything that is 18"?

Please don't be bothered if you feel my question repititious and please I am just looking to see what everyone else has done and found to be feasible housing option? I am also currious what to do with my 2 Avicularia?

Thanks so much for helping my figure this stuff out. I got my substrate sorted. Although I feel that moss is the antichrist, I would love some leaf litter suggestions as well. Thanks.
I currently have my terrestrials set up in enclosures that are are 3 times the DLS - height doesn’t make or break me buying it, since I can just adjust the substrate level to make sure they don’t have too much height to fall from, should that happen. I have some enclosures that have the same dimensions as ones you mentioned and I am guilty of going a little big with my best display Ts.

About your avics, my girl is a little 4 inch nugget and she is in a 12” high enclosure. I have other arboreals who get around the same thing (3 times their dsl with lots of privacy and anchor points. Mine has to be the worlds slowest Webber, but she eats well. Is always out on display and has a nice round bootie and is super chill. I like to think she appreciates the enclosure set up. I was able to find enclosures that are 14” and 18” tall for my P Cam and H Mac, but they have more size than my Avicularia Avicularia. That might be something to look at if your avics are a little bigger than mine. For the most part, I stick with 3-4 times their size when choosing their enclosures, which I’m sure you ve heard a million times. I follow that “rule of thumb” 95% of time. Like I said though, my big bulky terrestrial display Ts might get a little more real estate (I also like to decorate my display ts enclosure - I like the eye candy)

ryanm7277

These are two I am trying out, they are huge though, so gonna be a while before my guys grow into them

Attachments

• FB55DD31-FF24-4B71-A1B5-688819555385.jpeg
    FB55DD31-FF24-4B71-A1B5-688819555385.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 7
  • 245A632C-6934-4C66-9A58-340D7EE2A609.jpeg
    245A632C-6934-4C66-9A58-340D7EE2A609.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 8

Tarino Palma

Personally, I really like the 12” cube. I keep my A Hentzi in one. Just watch out for that 12” of height for a terrestrial, and adjust the substrate level accordingly. I do like them though

Latest posts