• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

So I have an idea..

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've always said that plastic storage containers would be ideal for spiders, except you just can't see through them well. So my idea is this: I use a dremel to cut the middle out of all the sides, and the top. Then I use sheets of thin, clear acrylic and hot glue them over the holes, for my viewing pleasure. This seems like a cheap and easy way to make an enclosure. Thoughts? Is this an old idea that I just think I thought up first? :)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like a plan, don't they make the clear containers now though in large size?
Anyway, saw a fellow on youtube make a hospital tank out of old sheet of glass and a styrofoam cooler so this has to be better then that was ^^

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
sounds like a plan, don't they make the clear containers now though in large size?
Anyway, saw a fellow on youtube make a hospital tank out of old sheet of glass and a styrofoam cooler so this has to be better then that was ^^
Ive found semi clearlarge storage containers, but not clear like acrylic, or glass..I think the largest clear ones were just shoebox size. Maybe I didn't search thoroughly enough though..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah Uline has some almost clear big ones but not crystal clear. I'm curious though, (no not nosy lol)
all that bother why not just get a full sheet of acrylic and build two or three the way you want them?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah Uline has some almost clear big ones but not crystal clear. I'm curious though, (no not nosy lol)
all that bother why not just get a full sheet of acrylic and build two or three the way you want them?
Well to be honest I have almost 40 inverts now. More than half of them, hell 3/4 of them, are "display" spiders..I can't seem to find the time to fix a few lids the way I want them, I'll definitely never get that many full enclosures built..much less even 2 or 3..I just want a quick solution I suppose. This idea should take very little time for each enclosure. If it works well, and I think it will, I should be able to do them all in a day. If I ever get a day off..

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I've always said that plastic storage containers would be ideal for spiders, except you just can't see through them well. So my idea is this: I use a dremel to cut the middle out of all the sides, and the top. Then I use sheets of thin, clear acrylic and hot glue them over the holes, for my viewing pleasure. This seems like a cheap and easy way to make an enclosure. Thoughts? Is this an old idea that I just think I thought up first? :)
Great idea!!!! I do just that. I did it on "Rambo", stirmi' enclosure so I can gaze at her...
image.jpg

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Nifty idea. I just glass tanks.
I use glass tanks also, for T's that live in dry areas where humidity isn't a must. BUT T's that need moisture and humidity need great X ventilation u just can't get with a glass tank. That's why these "special care" T's get housed in these big a$$ plastic totes with locking lids

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Well to be honest I have almost 40 inverts now. More than half of them, hell 3/4 of them, are "display" spiders..I can't seem to find the time to fix a few lids the way I want them, I'll definitely never get that many full enclosures built..much less even 2 or 3..I just want a quick solution I suppose. This idea should take very little time for each enclosure. If it works well, and I think it will, I should be able to do them all in a day. If I ever get a day off..
Yea, mine pictured took 10 mins and imo, look great. Also I have a crystal clear viewing window for her

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Everything in there is alive. The screen top is covered with thin plastic sheets leaving .5" gaps on each end that run from front to rear. There is a heat pad on the right side of the tank to create updraft and keep her warm.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Very nice, ur glass aquarium is done right, with a stirmi in mind. I simply meant the average person using a glass aquarium for a tropical T doesn't know how to get it what it needs. U knew what to do, and did a great job.

Latest posts