• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling water dish

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Hi guys and gals. Where do u get water dishes/bowls for ur slings? Or do u all use water bottle lids? I've been using lids, but if I can get those little acrylic dishes, I'd like them instead. Thx

Noobmatus

3 Year Member
I think you can pick up those clear acrylic ones at jamies tarantulas but I'm not sure how cost effective it would be after shipping

Meludox

3 Year Member
I don't use the little acrylic dishes but you can try googling mini petri dishes and getting some of those. And yes JamiesTarantulas.com also sells them.

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
Yea I've bought stuff from Jamie BUT no matter how small a purchase, her minimum shipping is $15, so for a $.75 water dish, not too cost effective.
They're not necessary of course, but if I have the option of bottle klds or acrylic dishes....

SasyStace

3 Year Member
anything more than a bottle lid for a sling is a waste IMO, they grow so quickly that eventually you'll need to pick up something bigger anyways. I like to use Smart Water bottle tops they're clear not white and a tad bigger than normal ones. :)

kaz

3 Year Member
I use the smallest size tattoo ink pots from ebay, you can get a load for a quid and mix and match, getting small medium or large and change them out when they grow. I find them to be really cost affective. I pop them straight in the substrate creating a nice little watering hole!!! If the sling is really teeny tiny I put a small stone in the bottom just for peace of mind!!

Last edited:

kaz

3 Year Member
Here's to give you an idea!! You can get clear ones incase you find the red sightly.
And a load for a quid means you always have spare, nothing worse hunting for a bottle cap that you can nick when u need one lol!!
WP_20151113_019.jpg
Hope this may help!!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just use bottle caps. I
i thought a water dish is not wise for a sling.... shouldn't you just mist the soil slightly? and against the wall of the cage?
I hear that as well. But I've been giving tiny slings a water dish for some time, none of them have tried committing suicide :)

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Generally my slings go from a small bottle cap to a Gatorade cap. Adults get big soap dishes or those big corner dishes from pet stores. I like the little silo disposable med cups but only have a few. I need to get a pack of those, they're deep and narrow

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
i thought a water dish is not wise for a sling.... shouldn't you just mist the soil slightly? and against the wall of the cage?

I've used small water bottle caps for my slings .5" or larger for quite time and have never had a problem. It keeps me from having to worry about dribbling water on the substrate.