• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling stopped eating

jbell

Hi! My son and I adopted this Mexican Red Knee sling. My son named it Fang. We’ve been caring for Fang as instructed. Fang ate a small cricket once a week for the first 3 weeks we had him/her. It’s now been 5 going on 6 weeks that Fang hasn’t eaten. We spray water in one corner of the enclosure so the soil in that corner is damp and tiny water droplets are on the walls. Fang also dug a hole in one corner of the enclosure down to the bottom. I thought maybe Fang was going to molt but hasn’t. I’ve heard different lengths of time they stop eating, but Fang is so tiny and 5-6 weeks seems a long time to go without eating. I’ve offered food but yesterday when I did so Fang seemed very upset that the cricket was there and followed it around rearing back at it over and over. It’s been removed since Fang never ate it. We are first time owners and new at this. I appreciate your help and feedback. Thank you!
1EFEE2F7-1AB8-47CA-8D4E-1EE77AB5F5F7.jpegC12C4BBD-68D9-42A4-AAC0-1543DE21A77B.jpeg

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi there
Tarantula not eating is rarely a concern.
Your sling is quite chunky and as long as there is water available it will be fine till it moults whenever that my be.This is a slow growing species and it may take a while(or not) for it to do so.I had same size slings refuse food for nearly 6 months and then instead of moult it started eating again and moulted 2 months later.
It will be wise to put a waterdish in the enclosure so the sling can have a drink when it needs(bottle cap,tattoo ink pots, lego pieces..... all will do the job)
Regards Konstantin

jbell

Hi there
Tarantula not eating is rarely a concern.
Your sling is quite chunky and as long as there is water available it will be fine till it moults whenever that my be.This is a slow growing species and it may take a while(or not) for it to do so.I had same size slings refuse food for nearly 6 months and then instead of moult it started eating again and moulted 2 months later.
It will be wise to put a waterdish in the enclosure so the sling can have a drink when it needs(bottle cap,tattoo ink pots, lego pieces..... all will do the job)
Regards Konstantin
Thank you! I appreciate you taking the time to respond. I will definitely add a water dish.

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
You are welcome.
When you do try to fig it in the substrate so the top of the dish is flush with the substrate.It makes it easier for them to drink from it.
Regards Konstantin

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with @Konstantin. Fang has been "overly loved". Like after Thanksgiving dinner, your baby is stuffed. Consider feeding once every 2 weeks until a molt.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Personally, I have never worked out how to tell if a sling has eaten or not. I feed beheaded mealworms at least twice a week. Removing the mealworms after 24 hours. But given the size of a sling, I am never able to tell if any has been eaten or not.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yes, deceased food, whether a cricket or mealworm is a great idea. No worries about it roaming about or burrowing. And you can always pull it out if it is uneaten.

As a personal preference, I like to put a hide in the terrarium in case the T wants to stay top side but under cover. Cork bark works great and looks natural if you have access to it. Something with an arch. You can put it over the already established hole, I think, as long as you don't block it.

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
Awww...cute baby...will eat when is hungry...even tiny ones know what to do...
good suggestions all above! Welcome to this great place and hobby!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I'd replace your substrate. Wood chips and bark mulch can be rough and maybe toxic to invertebrates. Coco fiber or clean topsoil will be much better for your tiny sling.

Latest posts