• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

sling questions

Logan D

3 Year Member
so Im just curious on what would be the best container or enclosure for 3rd instar to 1in slings and what would be the easiest method of feeding them and watering their enclosures cause I plan to breed my pokies and just trying to get this figured out before hand

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
so Im just curious on what would be the best container or enclosure for 3rd instar to 1in slings and what would be the easiest method of feeding them and watering their enclosures cause I plan to breed my pokies and just trying to get this figured out before hand
Food storage tubs are always going to be the best bet when dealing with a large number of inverts, I prefer the rectangular "disposable" ones over the round. Lately I've been buying more robust tubs around the same size from the supermarket, more expensive, something like a dollar each but you can just buy a few packs each payday to build numbers. They are much better visually and the lids stand up to a lot more opening and closing than the cheapest ones and are easier to open.

Logan D

3 Year Member
Food storage tubs are always going to be the best bet when dealing with a large number of inverts, I prefer the rectangular "disposable" ones over the round. Lately I've been buying more robust tubs around the same size from the supermarket, more expensive, something like a dollar each but you can just buy a few packs each payday to build numbers. They are much better visually and the lids stand up to a lot more opening and closing than the cheapest ones and are easier to open.
have any pictures ?

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
have any pictures ?
I don't have much amazing to show you, there's no end of suitable containers to be found in supermarkets and other shops, the food storage section in the supermarket should yield something suitable. I took a fewpics just now though.
These are a sturdier tub, the visibility is much better than it looks in the picture, almost flawless. I have drilled 1cm holes and glued mesh on for ventilation, mesh can catch a tarantulas claws so burning or drilling holes might be better.

1539097675883-1386216211.jpg

This type of tub is what's usually used, they come in a wide range of sizes and are cheap to buy. Personally I don't like the way the lids open and close but these would be the most commonly used type of tub.
1539097820999694655187.jpg

These tubs are good, they come from the craft section. The lids lock onto the base of the tub above making a sturdy stack, handy at feeding time too because I can safely handle a stack like it was one piece, sometimes taking a stack of standard tubs from the shelf to feed can be a bit risky. They come in a few sizes. I have ventilated them using a soldering iron.
1539097849100261109209.jpg

Lately I've been messing around with these storage containers, they stack nicely and the plastic is "ultra clear", it has a black look tinge on the corners instead of the usual milkyness if that makes sense.
1539097902759441008217.jpg

In this picture you see a bigger rectangular tub ventilated with a soldering iron (and drill, I was experimenting messily). I use these to hold various sizes of crickets usually. Here I have some of the smaller lock together tubs and some disposable condiment tubs in one.
1539097925867667197380.jpg

And these have crickets.
1539099586930321159650.jpg
As you see there are endless choices! (I'm not going to take pictures of the other enclosures!)

Latest posts