• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling numbers

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys/girls.
I've been watching a few videos on YouTube on people opening egg sacs they have taken from there tarantulas.
Do diffrent genus of tarantula produce diffrent amount of slings?.
I'm not planning on breeding just wanted to know which genus gives off the highest or lowest amount of off spring ??

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
Yes they all have varying numbers of eggs in a sac. I know Lasiodora have 2,000+ eggs a sac but I'm not sure about smallest

Martin Oosthuysen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi guys/girls.
I've been watching a few videos on YouTube on people opening egg sacs they have taken from there tarantulas.
Do diffrent genus of tarantula produce diffrent amount of slings?.
I'm not planning on breeding just wanted to know which genus gives off the highest or lowest amount of off spring ??

Thanks for stopping by
Sym
Hello
You will find a wide range,Theraposa as little as say 20 M.balfouri 25-55 and then Lasiodora specimens 1000-2000.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Matthew/Martin.
I do like the concept of breeding but that is a lot of slings to look after and rehome. I couldn't find new homes for 100 slings never mind 2000!! So I will never breed tarantulas.
I will leave that to the experts..

Thanks for your reply guys much appreciated!

Sym

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Matthew/Martin.
I do like the concept of breeding but that is a lot of slings to look after and rehome. I couldn't find new homes for 100 slings never mind 2000!! So I will never breed tarantulas.
I will leave that to the experts..

Thanks for your reply guys much appreciated!

Sym

You could use them to trade for another T. Just think, even if you got 1000 slings and sold at just a pound each - you could buy something special.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Enn49.
I've only been in the hobby since November last year so just over a month. I have no plans to breed as I don't have the knowledge or any compatible tarantulas. My first job in the hobby is to sex my T's...
I'm very excited to get home as my GBB has decided to turn him/her self over to moult :)

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi Enn49.
I've only been in the hobby since November last year so just over a month. I have no plans to breed as I don't have the knowledge or any compatible tarantulas. My first job in the hobby is to sex my T's...
I'm very excited to get home as my GBB has decided to turn him/her self over to moult :)

Thanks for stopping by
Sym

I only got my first T in March so I'm not far ahead of you. I don't have any plans to breed either but I do find that side interesting. Good luck with the moult, I'll be watching for pics later.

sym

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi Enn49..
I will try getting some good pictures later when I get in from work only 2 and a half hours to go lol..
Fingers crossed it's a successfull moult.
Might be hard to get a picture as the T is in his/hers web... I'm hoping it doesn't chew the moulted skin up as I would like to have a go at sexing it..

Sym

MatthewM1

3 Year Member
My plans for when I start breeding is to unload most by selling/trading them wholesale to dealers. Lower profit but alot less work. With some of the more common species who lay big sacs(LP's) you can leave the slings communally until they cannibalize themselves down to a workable number.

Poec54

3 Year Member
The number of eggs in a sac, the size of them when they hatch, and the sex ratios have been fine-tuned over thousands of years to fit individual habitats. In some species males have to travel for miles and a higher percentage of them are needed to offset the risks and loss of males to predators and hazards. In others, a group of females may live close to each other, even within a few feet, so one male can easily impregnate a number of females. In those species, a 50/50 ratio means a lot of males go to waste.

Humans don't have a 50/50 sex ratio at birth, so there's no reason to expect spiders to.

Most tarantulas probably have sacs of 50-150 eggs, but again, there's different survival strategies. Is a small number of large slings best, or a large number of tiny slings?

DTG

3 Year Member
Age/size can also be a factor in the number of slings produced. I have had small versicolor produce 50-60 slings and bigger versis drop 100+ slings. I would imagine that older females will drop smaller sacks too, but I don't know this for sure.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
its hectic. Not gonna lie. You get 1000 count jello shooter cups IE sauce cups. Then to ventilate them all. Then transfer, then feed as long as you have them. Then pack qtys to ship.
What kind of out of pocket expense are we talking about? To send off 1000 Lp slings? I'm assuming you're speaking of L parahybana.. And did you let them cannibalize first? Do you get wounded slings from doing that? How long does that take, say, for one person to do? I'll be mating some Lp soon, and to be honest I don't like the idea of whittling them down like that, I love Lps...so...is that unrealistic? I'm going to do it, I'd just like some forewarning of any pitfalls..sorry to be a pain. I will do what is necessary though. I'm finding all kinds of succesfull breeding posts and videos, but none with details...details...

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With species that produce a lot of offspring, I feel it is best to let them cannibalize for a bit so that you don't end up having to care for so many.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
With species that produce a lot of offspring, I feel it is best to let them cannibalize for a bit so that you don't end up having to care for so many.
Yeah, the more I read the more it seems inevitable..I've got a local mom and pop petstore interested in a few, I've got some to ship back to the owner of the male, and of course I'll probably keep 20 of them. That leaves a lot. A whole lot. Assuming I'm going to get a successful sac. Which I will. Maybe I can sell them in lots of 40, cheap or something....still..thats a lot of cannibalizing to get to that level I need to be at..what the hell do people do?

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
That's typically what people do. Then you can just sell them here or on another forum. Personally I don't suggest breeding a species that creates this many young, unless you're prepared for a lot of slings [emoji14]

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
WOW.... What an interesting thread. I had no idea that breeders allow them to cannibalize.
Well, unfortunately the female isn't interested so far..that means she's probably too close to a molt, so I'm going to have to wait anyway. I've already made up my mind that I'll let them cannibalize if I have to, and I'll unload as many as possible, then give away whatever is left (After I keep at least ten and send 20 to the males owner) I'll probably give them to forum members that want them, a few people already expressed interest. I'll do whatever is necessary though. I want some Lp babies.:)

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Well, unfortunately the female isn't interested so far..that means she's probably too close to a molt, so I'm going to have to wait anyway. I've already made up my mind that I'll let them cannibalize if I have to, and I'll unload as many as possible, then give away whatever is left (After I keep at least ten and send 20 to the males owner) I'll probably give them to forum members that want them, a few people already expressed interest. I'll do whatever is necessary though. I want some Lp babies.:)
You've got to keep us updated and post pictures!!