• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Sling molting?

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
I'm just wondering. If I am feeding my slings 2 times a week, how often should they molt? I'm just looking for a general answer. I know there's no guaranteed right answer!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I usually reckon the tiny ones will moult around every 6-8 weeks with the gap growing as they get bigger.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It honestly depends on the species, size of prey, and the temperatures. My faster growing species kept in the 70s will molt every month and a half or so. Slower growing species can be much longer (I'm looking at YOU B. auratum!). What species are you keeping?

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
I have a G. pulchripes, and a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens. Right now it's about 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the house, and their crickets are about a quarter inch in size, plus or minus a little.

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have a G. pulchripes, and a Chromatopelma Cyaneopubescens. Right now it's about 75 degrees Fahrenheit in the house, and their crickets are about a quarter inch in size, plus or minus a little.

Wonderful species, both. My C. cyaneopubescens was about .75" when I got her, and kept at about the same temps, she molted every 5-6 weeks for the first few molts (fed twice a week or so). My two G. pulchripes were about .4" or so when I got them, and they molted about every four months or so. Both also buried themselves and fasted for several months during the winter, so there was a much longer stretch between those molts.

MICHAEL BIRCH

3 Year Member
My G. Pulchripes has buried himself in a little tunnel, but is still eating. Both of them eat the whole cricket, I thought this was strange because I always thought spiders drank or ate the insides and tossed the outer shell. I think both of my T's are about 1" if I'm guessing right.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My GBB molted every week before I got it says the seller. Then when I got it, it refused food and went into hiding. Molted sometime the first week of January. First feeding was Jan. 10th, I had fed it a male rusty red, superworm, superworm, male rusty red, and last is superworm yesterday.

I will let you know if it will molt soon but it is definitely not in premolt as of yet. :)

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My GBB molted every week before I got it says the seller. Then when I got it, it refused food and went into hiding. Molted sometime the first week of January. First feeding was Jan. 10th, I had fed it a male rusty red, superworm, superworm, male rusty red, and last is superworm yesterday.

I will let you know if it will molt soon but it is definitely not in premolt as of yet. :)
What size is your GBB? My son's was delivered to us at 3/4" and molted every month until the last molt where it waited 3 months almost. It's now about 2.5" dls

We fed her twice a week, every week until premolt, cricket sizes just a bit smaller than it's abdomen, and after the molt before the last molt we switched to lateralis roughly 1/2-3/4" in size.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pia is about 1.5 inch or more. Feeding is every 3-4 days. Currently just rehoused to a taller enclo and is webbing the whole place up. Will feed again this Friday. ;) The roaches that I feed to Pia are mature males same size or bigger than itself, the ones I can safely remove from my colony to support good production.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Pia is about 1.5 inch or more. Feeding is every 3-4 days. Currently just rehoused to a taller enclo and is webbing the whole place up. Will feed again this Friday. ;) The roaches that I feed to Pia are mature males same size or bigger than itself, the ones I can safely remove from my colony to support good production.

I tried a mature male with this one and she just bit it and gave a threat pose. She likes the juvies or whatever you call them just a bit smaller.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yep that's a mature male. That's the kind my GBB bit and then retreated from and gave the threat pose. I've had 1 female roach laying eggs left and right the last week or 2 and one not doing anything that doesn't move well, so maybe she's too old? Anyway, it was fed to the GBB last night and she was on that roach instantly. Guess she just doesn't like mature males ;) Have to tell my son that so when he gets older he'll have to watch out lol