• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Size of ventilation holes for slings

awareman

3 Year Member
So I am fairly new to the hobby, and I recently purchased a few slings. As of right now I have not seen any sign of activity from atleast 2-3 of my slings, and I am hoping they did not escape. My G. Pulchripes slings are ~1in and I made the ventilation holes no more than .25in in diameter along the sides. Were these holes to large; allowing the slings to squeeze through? Any suggestions for acceptable hole sizes for ventilation when raising slings?

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
.25 inch holes are too big for slings. I use a soldering iron with a special tip to make my holes. Got it at Home Depot for $17.95 and it came with lots of tips. For larger tarantulas I'll sometimes use a drill with a step bit.

Here is the soldering iron with tips:
IMG_5850.JPG

And step bit:
IMG_5849.JPG

awareman

3 Year Member
.25 inch holes are too big for slings. I use a soldering iron with a special tip to make my holes. Got it at Home Depot for $17.95 and it came with lots of tips. For larger tarantulas I'll sometimes use a drill with a step bit.

Here is the soldering iron with tips:
View attachment 33629

And step bit:
View attachment 33630

Well damn, I'm guessing I've got some spideys running around. I do have a soldering iron, but it only came with 2 tips; both too large. I'll have to get some more sizes... Lesson learned. Hopefully they'll turn up. Thanks!

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not really sure on the imperial measurements but I've seen escape videos that prove that the holes need to be smaller than the cephalothorax, the abdomen is very flexible and will fit if the cephalothorax does so that is not a guide.
Also, don't be quite so sure that they're not there until you've gone through all the decor and substrate, they may still be in there.

Last edited:

awareman

3 Year Member
Not really sure on the imperial measurements but I've seen escape videos that prove that the holes need to be smaller than the cephalothorax, the abdomen is very flexible and will fit if the cephalothorax does so that is not a guide.
Also, don't be quite so sure that they're not there until you've gone through all the decor and substrate, they may still be in there.

That is what I am hoping for. I've been checking back just in case. I don't really wanna go digging around in there just in case they are burrowed down; I wouldn't want to injure them. Luckily my GBB sling is still visible and eating well :)