• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Six out of eight

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is getting silly. 75%, 6 out of the 8 new posts are spam. Is it not possible to make the first few posts moderated? Most of today's spam has been posted within 5 minutes of joining.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is getting silly. 75%, 6 out of the 8 new posts are spam. Is it not possible to make the first few posts moderated? Most of today's spam has been posted within 5 minutes of joining.

I've spoken to Josh about this. Unfortunately most of them appear while I'm in bed but I do get rid of them as soon as I log on.

damhan

3 Year Member
Hi there.....these spam posts seem to be a continuous thing, are annoying for (at least this) members and no doubt to moderators too.

Is it possible to moderate new 'members' in some way - perhaps only letting them post in a newbie forum for 6 months, having to confirm their identity before being allowed to post or even stopping new members from posting at all for a month or more.....?

I'm also member of a rival forum, (please don't kick me out) aracxxxxxxboards and they don't seem to have thus problem

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hi there.....these spam posts seem to be a continuous thing, are annoying for (at least this) members and no doubt to moderators too.

Is it possible to moderate new 'members' in some way - perhaps only letting them post in a newbie forum for 6 months, having to confirm their identity before being allowed to post or even stopping new members from posting at all for a month or more.....?

I'm also member of a rival forum, (please don't kick me out) aracxxxxxxboards and they don't seem to have thus problem
I’ve been a member over there for almost 10 years, so I can’t recall the joining process back then. I don’t know if you were there during the vbulletin days, but I think you actually had to wait for a mod or admin to approve before you became a member officially. TsUS did the same I think.

It would probably be a good idea to find members with an IT background to moderate.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
It would probably be a good idea to find members with an IT background to moderate.

Admittedly I don't have an IT background but I do my best to keep up with spam deletion the problem is that I usually log on around midday UK time to find anything up to 18 spam threads have been posted since I logged out 9-10 hours before.
If there is any one out there that is prepared to cover the hours I'm sleeping please let me know.

Noodlelove

I've spoken to Josh about this. Unfortunately most of them appear while I'm in bed but I do get rid of them as soon as I log on.
It's getting crazy in the cyber world. I'm literally going back to 1953, and I wasn't born then I cannot believe how much digital shenanigans is happening online. I won't put my atm card out there at all. It's not safe. The spam is the same . We can't get away from it. I love spiders. Ancient, wise, beautiful.

damhan

3 Year Member
Admittedly I don't have an IT background but I do my best to keep up with spam deletion the problem is that I usually log on around midday UK time to find anything up to 18 spam threads have been posted since I logged out 9-10 hours before.
If there is any one out there that is prepared to cover the hours I'm sleeping please let me know.
Please don't think I'm blaming you or indeed any moderator.....it is a thankless task and you don't get the credit you deserve for doing it.

I was just trying to see if there was a way to stop it happening in the first place....perhaps by changing the way new members are signed up or how they can post....

I wonder what safeguards axxxxxboards have in place that seem to prevent it happening there...

Thank you again, enn49, for all the work you do :)

Josh

Administrator
Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
Thanks for the suggestions! Spam is a constant battle. We could use some extra moderators for sure. Some of the ones we've had have gone on to do other things now

Latest posts