• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

silk worms

TLRO

3 Year Member
Hey all. Thinking of starting to feed my parahybana a staple of big silk worms. Statistically they appear more nutritious than crickets and roaches are illegal in Canada. Thoughts? Objections?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't say that I have any experience feeding silk worms, but generally worms are high in fat content. and not the best staple.
Silks don't have hard exos like meals and supers, and to my knowledge aren't biters so it shouldn't be an issue, I just wouldn't power feed.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Wow! those are some interesting numbers. I generally hate worms as feeders, but if those numbers are accurate, It seems like a very viable option.

TLRO

3 Year Member
Yeah totally! Gotta take all internet stats with a giant grain of salt I guess but I'm really excited to have an alternative to evil stinky crickets. We will see how it goes!

RubenGamez

3 Year Member
Heck, if those stats are the real deal I am definitely making the switch from crickets. I HATE HATE HATE crickets. :mad:

TLRO

3 Year Member
Totally. I despise crickets too. I'm picking up 10 jumbo silks tomorrow. I'll let you guys know how it goes. Maybe a feeding video :p

happynoodleboy

3 Year Member
Luckily we can keep roaches in sunny South Africa.
Got my own colony of Turkistans ( blatta lateralis ) and a mixed colony of pallid ( phoetalia pallida ) and lobster ( Naupheta cinerea ) roaches.

Best feeders hands down.

TLRO

3 Year Member
Last night she ate 5 silk worms. She had a wad in her fangs about the size of a ping pong ball and this morning I can't find any left overs anywhere. Needless to say she loved them. Definitely putting them into the rotation.

Latest posts