• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Silk stuck to butt?

Jeef

3 Year Member
I have an A. johnnycashi that recently molted. She lost a pedipalp in the molt. Since then, I've noticed she gets thick strands of silk stuck to her under her spinneretes. The silk gets thicker the closer it gets to her butt. Thick enough and stuck enough that if I grab it with tongs, she can't move.

I can't seem to dig up anything searching on this one. My best guess is a spinnerete got messed up during that last molt. I understand there isn't really anything I can do about it other than wait for the next molt. Anyone else see anything like this before?

Tarantulafeets

Interesting... I read somewhere that people think their ts have impaction when it's just the webbing fluids form their spinnerets, not sure if it apply's to this situation though. Does the spinnerete look different in any way? Can she hold it in the normal resting position?
Hope it molts soon, but being an Aphonopelma, that will be a long while...

TokeHound

I've heard of spinnerets getting compacted? I mean I hope that isn't it because as far as I know, that's 100% fatal. But I could be wrong!! I'm still researching T's all the time. Anyway, does her spinneret(s) look swollen at all?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is why I don't buy single slings anymore, the chance that something goes wrong is rare, but when you have 1 individual the odds becomes palpable

Latest posts